Is it rude to keep my seat in a bar when women are standing?

I offer my seat to the elderly or infirm; I do not believe being a woman is in and of itself a disability.

A gentleman offers his seat. A lady doesn’t accept unless she really needs it.*

*Or thinks he’s cute

Never. Women usually go to bars in pairs or groups, one seat is not enough for them. Standing, they can remain as part of their group. If one of them sits, it creates a new awkward situation.

I don’t care what people say. I worship at the altar of Fay Wray.

I would like to state for the record that King Kong may keep his seat when I’m standing. Or running away. Whichever.

If I’m with a lady at the bar (be it wife, daughter, friend, or other family member), I will offer her the seat. If I see someone of either gender who has some physical impairment–or is simply old and frail–I will generally offer the seat. Otherwise, I’ll stay there.

I am very rarely in a bar alone. Generally, I’m there with friends. If we’re all together at the bar, I’m not breaking up the group to give my seat to an “outsider.”

OTOH, women are the only ones who voluntarily wear high heels… :smiley:

I agree with this; and to add on to it… if you’re there with a date, and you snag the last seat and don’t offer it to your date, THEN you’re being rude. Otherwise no.

I give a barstool to an acquaintance or a friend, male or female, all the time. Especially if, when I smoked, I’d be going outside, I’d say to a male acquaintance, “keep my seat warm, would you!” just as likely to a woman whom I knew.

It sounds bizarre to cede your seat to a “lady” – well. Have I missed the reason some barfly dude would stand up and say, “Milady, something something dorky”? It’s just not done, IME.

She can sit on your lap while you sit on the stool. Win/win for all involved!

• TWTTWN

Kindly offering a seat could result in sex later? Is it really that easy? (Somehow I don’t think it would be wise to boink someone who wanted me simply because they didn’t have to remain standing.)

That’s simply not true, you just haven’t been to the right bars.