Is it rude to run on the street?

Wow, yeah, not good sidewalks for running on. Plus, asphalt is a bit easier on the knees.

I don’t think it’s rude; just be alert, run against traffic, etc. as you’ve already mentioned you are aware of and will do.

Some people will be jerks and won’t share the road, but that’s just the way they are. Be ready for them.

We don’t have sidewalks out here, just very narrow gravel shoulders that aren’t very well groomed --cow hooves are hard on them, since cows just can’t be bothered to stay on the flattop and will wear down the sides, plus chop up the top anyway. So we don’t have any choice but to run on the road and still people will do various things to (apparently) communicate their displeasure with our enjoyment of the outdoors: speeding up to 70ish (on a road that isn’t posted, but should be 25), not moving over at all (which is just a courtesy, really, it just lets me know you see me and don’t intend to run me down just yet), when it’s a car coming from behind, I’ve had people come across the center line to get closer to me (I’m never sure if this is bad driving–steering where they’re looking–or assholery) and when the weather has been bad, I’ve been drenched head-to-toe in slush and cinders by people combining the close and too fast aspects with driving through the closest puddle even if there’s plenty of room and a high cleared section of the lane.

I still always smile, try to make eye contact and wave. After all, this is a rural area and these people are likely my neighbors, even if they’re not acting very neighborly.

I try to run at times of day where the sun won’t make seeing the driver inside the vehicle difficult, although some people’s windows are so dirty time of day doesn’t matter.

I do the courtesy wave thing when I hear a car coming up from behind and I try to have my head turned enough to both watch where I’m going and watch where the car is going, so I can jump down the soft gravel shoulders if I have to, figuring if they want to run over me/bump me with the car, I’m taking them with me. Only problem with this plan is there won’t be much time to make those assessments, and at the bottom of the shoulders are barb wire fences. Still, I’d rather look like an idiot (who’s up-to-date on her tetanus) than hit by a car/end up like Lance Cpl. Suzanne Marie Collins (when I initially read about the case it was said he used the car to incapacitate her and unfortunately her death has really stuck in my mind).

The nice thing about running in the road is also the extra space from unsecured dogs. I haven’t yet run into a dog that really means harm and thus hasn’t been stopped in their tracks by a firm “NO!” and pointing The Stern Finger of Doom and “GO HOME!” but those extra feet of distance from the houses have given me the time and space to stop moving and shout to stop them before they’re on me/too close for their arousal levels. The dogs that don’t bark are the worst and get the closest. Of course, where you’re running, you’ll probably need to be extra alert since a dog could pop out from between parked cars at you and send you into a car’s path if you startle. A little can of pepper spray can be a nice thing to have as peace of mind against aggressive dogs or people. But you should be fine. Running outside is so much better than running on a dreadmill that it is well worth the risks. And when you have more time to run, definitely hit the trail, it is so nice to just focus on the footing, the scenery, your breathing…no worries about cars…just mountain bikers and horses. :slight_smile:

Oh, and you know this one, but just let it be when they honk at you, whatever. Bikers too often get into a pissing match - being a biker who rides on the roads - and forget that THE CAR WILL ALWAYS WIN. Just let them.

Can you explain the courtesy wave? Is that just like waving your hand so the car knows you see it?

May I recommend Strawbridge Lake Park in Moorestown? It’s only a few minutes drive from anywhere in Maple Shade and it’s a really nice place to run, bike or walk. You can access it from Kings Highway, Pleasant Valley Avenue, or Church Street.

Thank you! I will definitely look into it.

I hope you like it! Scratch the Lenola Road reference though - I should have said Kings Highway there instead.

May I suggest that if you have chronic knee pain and an ankle injury, that maybe running isn’t the ideal exercise for you?

I waited for the ankle to heal before I ran again. It’s not a chronic injury or anything - it happened because of how I had to land on one of those slabs of concrete.

IME running actually helps my knee pain - especially in concert with strength training exercises for my quads. It’s not as crazy as it sounds.

97% of all horn usage makes no sense. They’re honking because they’re frustrated, or running late, or just because they’re jerks.

QFT.

As for the courtesy wave, yeah, it’s just an acknowledgment that you are aware they’re there. I sort of think of it as:

1. Hello, fellow human!
  2. We shall both proceed along our predictable paths like reasonable people and do nothing to cause each other harm or alarm
  3. Against astronomical odds of all the roads and vehicles in the world, Hi Opal!
    And it’s just, y’know, the wave you do in the car when someone let’s you merge ahead or pass or whatever, that sort of mellow gentle spread-fingered wave. Sometimes I curl my fingers like I’m groping a boob, since it’s evocative of the way little kids wave, it might subconsciously trigger a warm, friendly feeling in the driver. (Who knows? Obviously I use my time on the roads as an opportunity to overthink things.) Don’t flick your hand up and out since that might look like an impatient “yeah, yeah, whatever/ you’re crowding me” gesture.
    And also, yeah, if you get honked at, don’t lose your temper. Some people are itching for a fight. I have lost my temper twice and flipped a driver off (but after they’ve passed) and I always regret it even though nothing has happened. It’s just a stupid risk and not worth it; I don’t get any emotional release from it, and I get mad at myself for the loss of control. I do fantasize about being as badass as a former neighbor of mine: he was a Marine and always running, and one day he was in a crosswalk and some guys in a car thought it would be funny to gun it and drive right up into the crosswalk and stop in his path, so close they nearly hit him. Well, he leapt onto their hood and kicked their windshield in, then continued on his merry way. And that was the end of it as far as he was concerned. The vengeful rage and fantasy of doing such a thing keeps me toasty warm even after being covered head to toe in cinder-filled icy slush.

Depends on where in the road you’re talking about. If you’re as close to the edge of the road as you can be without mistepping and twisting an ankle when you hit the dirt/curb by accident, you’re fine. If you’re way out into the lane, you’re an asshole who is making every driver to pass you swing much farther into the opposite lane than is safe to do. All this applies to bikers, skateboarders, people walking their dogs and/or pushing baby carriages too.

I run and ride as far into the lane as I need to be in order to be safe. The side of the road is often much less hospitable than you can tell from your car. On a bike, I will take as much of the lane as I need to be safe, sorry, you’ll have to deal with it. I’m not riding right next to parked cars so I can get doored, and I need some time/space to react to pedestrians running out.

Running I’ll be opposite traffic and if it’s that bad I’ll find somewhere else to run. It’s not really an issue, but in New England now with icy roads I’ve learned that it’s safer to stay in the roadway and make cars go around you than to try and jump up on the icy berm, slip, and fall back into traffic. I often run on the Boston marathon route and drivers there are aware of the hoards training and don’t give us too much of a hard time.

One thing to consider.

Drivers may not KNOW the sidewalk aint for shit. In which case, they would likely think “why the hell aren’t you running up there rather than down here?”.

She’s not running with the traffic at her back. She says she’s running facing traffic, so she’s able to see oncoming traffic, and it doesn’t appear as if slowing anybody down is an issue. I believe if you’re walking or running on the side of the road, it’s considered the safest direction to be running, and as far as I know, it isn’t illegal in most places. I don’t mind someone running on the side of the road as long as they can see me so that they don’t obliviously run in front of me. I don’t find it rude as long as the runner is taking steps to run safely and be aware not only of their position, but everybody else’s, too.

It’s against ordinances where I live to walk or run in the street where sidewalks are available.

It’s not rude, but it may be dangerous; if you don’t have a better surface available and there’s little traffic, I’d do it.
I don’t do it, but I know drivers who do a little pipsqueak honk when they pass runners or bicyclists, specially if it’s a small group. The ones I’ve asked said they did it as a reminder that “this grrrr noise you hear is not an engine a mile away, it’s an engine right here, please be careful.” It’s not a “gerrofftheway”, just a “please be careful”.

Does Sr. Olives run in a different place or at a busier time to you? If there are enough cars that ‘one in five’ honk at him in a run, it sounds like the traffic might be too busy for safe running.

The only ‘rude’ thing I could see would be expecting a car to swerve around you instead of you hopping momentarily onto the pavement. Dangerous too, of course.

Generally when in the street (vs sidewalk) you run/walk against traffic (cars can’t get stuck behind you) and ride a bicycle with traffic.

There aren’t many sidewalks where I live/run so I run in the street all the time. Because of the camber (slantiness) of the road I usually run smack down the middle in a residential neighborhood and move to the side when I see/hear a car.

A road biker riding with traffic should stay 3 or 4 feet to the left of the side of the road. The goal is to make people wait and pull into the oncoming lane a bit to pass you (if there is traffic in the other direction), so that they can’t squeeze you off the road or hit you with their mirror if there is also an oncoming car in the other direction.

Not if you are being chased by cops with unholstered weapons.