Is my espionage story too absurd?

As the axiom goes, always better to first embarrass oneself in front of a small group than a large one (although I wasn’t planning my fiction for any sort of publication, just for sharing with a hundred friends and some family relatives). Been working on the story for over a year:

Summary: A Japanese man, surnamed Tanaka, is abducted to North Korea along with other foreign nationals (based off of real life.) They are all held hostage by the NK government. While in North Korea, he falls in love with his jailer (for lack of a better term,) a kind woman surnamed Park. They can’t let anyone else find out, so they communicate in secret ( tracing words on each other’s backs or shoulders with their fingers, etc.)

(There is a backstory about Park being a youth cadre leader in Pyongyang a decade earlier, wearing a leader’s red armband. Prior to that, her father was a diplomat and would secretly smuggle in Japanese, Pixar and Disney movies for Park to watch, but then Park got in trouble at school for re-enacting scenes from those movies for her peers, and her teachers demanded to know where she’d learned that stuff from. Park later performed in school plays at age 14 as an ‘American imperialist villain’ due to having high proficiency in English and was so superb at the role that she became a mini-celebrity in Pyongyang. Due to her language skills in English and Japanese, she was later assigned to be the caretaker/jailer for the foreign captives when she’s in her 20s.)

The main villain of the story is a Canadian woman surnamed Saint-Clair who is a high-ranking figure in North Korea [she joined the NK regime for ideological reasons] and is a wanted figure by the Canadian government. During the time that Tanaka is a hostage in NK, Saint-Clair hates Tanaka because he’s the only abductee who doesn’t fear her and in fact treats her with outright contempt, and Saint-Clair orders Park to break all of Tanaka’s fingers, which Park has no choice but to do in her presence. Park makes sure to do so in a way that causes the minimal pain possible, though.

After years in captivity, Tanaka and the other hostages are released back to Japan (and their other respective nations) in return for diplomatic concessions. Tanaka and the Japanese ex-hostages had become famous in Japan during their captivity but Tanaka shuns publicity and book deals and instead (after undergoing much therapy for PTSD) becomes a counterintelligence officer for Japanese intel.

Park, after a while, becomes a spy for North Korea but wants to defect and leave the nation for good. Japanese intelligence finds her out while she’s doing espionage work in Japan but want to convert her to a double agent rather than arresting her. They know Tanaka’s prior relationship with Park, so they have him be the one to approach her, seeing as how he has the best chances of persuading her to switch sides. Which he does.

(Later on, Tanaka is brutally killed by the North Koreans when they find out he’s a counterintel officer, and Park commits suicide by swallowing poison capsules after her cover is blown and she is cornered in a stairwell by Saint-Clair and guards/soldiers. But that all comes near the end of the story.)

I’d read it. Sounds within the realm of the possible. Intrigue, romance, international skullduggery at the highest level.

Don’t spice it up with the protagonist stealing a secret plane for an escape. That would be as crazy as a sub captain who looks and speaks like Sean Connery defecting. jk

The evil Canadian turncoat seems superfluous to the story. What does she bring to the story that can’t be done by a generic N Korean evil prison commandant? (although you may have an eye on the eventual movie and have Carrie-Ann Moss or Shannon Tweed in mind in an Ilse She-Wolf type get-up?).

Park’s career path from party apparatchik to VIP-prisoner minder to spy is a bit stretchy but probably fine for the story.

Is there any actual espionaging happening or is this a character study? John Le Carre would make sure that Park was a worthwhile figure to invest in turning and therefore needing to involve Tanaka and the risk this involves, so she is either seen as a rising star in N Korean intelligence, or has the ear of someone senior in Pyongyang [possibly in a jar on her mantlepiece, stolen from the Canadian].

I’d enjoy the love story part. The writing on backs is especially sweet.
I like a good spy thriller, as well.
I think you got something.

I’d read it.

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for the feedback; yes, there is espionaging happening but I didn’t want the OP to become some 1,200-word sprawl. In the story, Park has inside info about some NK schemes and plans that the West really wants.

@smithsb believe it or not, a friend who read some of it did in fact suggest that the protagonist steal planes.

Very cool for you to share… How much of your story is dedicated to quotations/conversations between the characters? And their motivations… What makes him love her, for example. The conversations leading to that might be the most important, because there are a lot of stories like this, so to me, the fine details, the splitting of hairs, would be crucial elevating it above the rest… I’d also be interested in the social/political conversations, because of the different approaches.

There isn’t too much about quotation/conversation since they are the subplot, not main plot. He loves her because 1) Stockholm Syndrome and 2) she’s a nice person. She loves him because 1) he’s the only person who doesn’t live in terror of the villain, and thus helps her overcome fear too and 2) attraction to foreigners since she always lived in such a closed-off regime; she likes hearing stories about what’s going on in the outside world.

I’m not sure how realistic it is to have a defector from the west be part of the North Korean apparatus. Are there any such people in real life? I could maybe see a defector being given asylum and used as a propaganda puppet but I don’t think the North Koreans would ever trust an outsider.

James Dresnok was a US soldier who defected in the early 1960s. I can recommend a documentary about him called Crossing the Line as very good if you can hunt it down, but the Wikipedia page on Dresnok seems pretty comprehensive as well.

Dresnok seems to have been used in various roles for his propaganda value, but his sons sound like they were integrated into North Korean society, which I imagine may be not very inoculated to diversity, and one held officer rank in the Army.

Thanks, you gave me the idea that the white woman could be the daughter of a Canadian defector, and perhaps in fact behave in such a cruel way because her white skin makes her have to demonstrate loyalty to the regime.

Although Lumpy does still have a good point that even as such a defector and his kids may still not be trusted enough to rise to high enough rank.

We still don’t have your reason why Saint-Claire the Canadian [or her daughter] is there at all. Is the state secret something Canadian, and there is a tense flashback to her early days in Ottawa that triggered her hatred of the West? The thriller reaches its climax during a Canada V DPRK ice hockey match [the nuclear codes are hidden in the puck?]? You really really want a kd lang Bondesque opening song for the eventual movie (which song I imagine could be crackingly good)?