[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
Great–have you consulted a lawyer about this gross violation of your employee handbook? Because I think that if you were told anytime between 7 and 9, but you got fired or harrassed or reprimanded in any way because you didn’t show up at a more specific hour than your employee handbook specifies, you’ve got a pretty good case. I suspect more went on here than we’re being told as well.
On your other job, were you lying when you told him you had to get your kids off to school before 9 a.m.? Because if you weren’t, this kinda implies that you are in fact, when you choose to be, capable of doing important things before the hour of 9 a.m.. Or is there something about showing up at work, as opposed to giving your kids your attention, that you’re incapable of doing? At any rate, did you get it in writing that you were to be completely and totally exempt ever from showing up before 9 a.m.? Seems that was what you absolutely required, and you should have requested that letter from your boss, if not immediately following your interview, then the first time you had the slightest hint that this was going to become an issue.
[/QUOTE]
What the hell is your problem? When I ask, at the job interview, if it’s a problem if my typical starting time is 9 a.m. and they say no it’s not, then I expect it not to be a problem. Ever.
If they say that sometimes there will be a meeting starting earlier that I’m expected to attend, but not very often, and I agree to that, I will be at the meeting.
However, if my typical starting time gets moved up from what I originally agreed to, then I get a bit testy, which is what has happened on more than one occasion.
Now it is true that I have been flat-out fired from a job, and while it wasn’t strictly morning tardiness, that was a factor for sure. This was early in my career–hell, not even a career, just the first job out of college–when I didn’t realize that everything was negotiable.
I don’t have a problem with my current job. I was late for the job interview and asked for a bigger salary than they had budgeted, by about 8K a year, and they hired me anyway and met my price.
You sure have a lot of suspicions. I’m glad I don’t have anyone like you working under me.