Is raising awareness for breast cancer a huge waste of time and effort?

I know this might sound heartless, but everyone is already aware of breast cancer. What do people actually hope to accomplish by raising awareness? Or why don’t they do it for a less known disease?

The activists are usually people who have been personally affected by breast cancer. They are former or current patients–or friends & relatives of patients. There is still plenty of research to be done. And early detection is the best bet to get treatment that works–but efforts to defund Planned Parenthood have made health care difficult for women with less money.

Please, volunteer to fight those less known diseases! There is plenty of excellent work to be done.

However, I fear heartlessness remains incurable…

I don’t know where all that money goes aside from the manufacturers of pink dye. Lack of awareness of breast cancer is not a problem. I hope the money they raise is being put to some useful purpose.

“They” find this particular cause worthwhile.

I’m pretty sure nothing is stopping people from making a similar effort on behalf of another form of cancer or other disease. For instance, a major push to find a good early warning marker of ovarian and pancreatic cancer would be welcome. And it would be great if we had a way of differentiating slow-moving or stable breast and prostatic cancer from the dangerous kinds, so unnecessary surgery and morbidity/mortality could be avoided.

Just as long as they don’t use the words “for the cure”.

I think part of the reason is that breast cancer can strike young women, but is survivable. You can have a race, or some other event to raise money/awareness, and you can bring out survivors, and they can be young and fresh-faced and healthy looking. It’s cancer, but it’s not as depressing as some other ones. But if you raised money for pancreatic cancer, there are fewer survivors to bring out and be inspiring. Obviously more money is needed since pancreatic cancer is one of the deadliest cancers, but people don’t give money purely by logic, they give it by what feels good at the moment.

Also, since there’s such a big breast cancer industry going on, it’s easier to just jump on that, rather than start fresher with raising money for another disease. It’s the path of least resistance for making your company look good by caring about sick people.

That campaign is ridiculous. Diseases don’t get cured through awareness, and apparently there’s no point in spending money on research because Pink Ribbon barely does that.

AIDS is almost as bad, we even have a very good treatment for it. But there at least raising awareness could help more people use condoms etc, although I’m afraid many people who get infected are being stupid, not uninformed.

If you want to raise awareness, do it for something like embolisms. People don’t know the symptoms (swolen/painful leg, suddenly being out of breath) so they don’t seek treatment and the outcomes are worse than they need to be.

No, they’re not. New people are born every day and they need to be educated at some point. People need to be reminded. Many - maybe most - men don’t know that men can get it too; 73 men died of it in the UK in 2012. When was the last time you saw an ad for breast cancer that targeted men? When was the last time you saw an ad for breast cancer that even mentioned men?

I’ve ranted about this before, but the American Cancer Society gets about 11 percent of the proceeds from the NFL’s sale of pink merchandise in October – the NFL actually makes a very good profit from raising awareness of breast cancer.

Nothing is stopping them? Nothing but their own laziness.

Pancreatic cancer markers?

Late diagnosis is one reason this disease is such a killer. But lots more money is needed before a test becomes usable. Give now.

Or they can keep on bitching…

Okay, I volunteer to go down to the hospital and tell all the newborn babies, “Hey, breast cancer is a thing.”

Justifiably or not, it strikes me as silly to talk so much about “awareness,” as though being aware of something is the important thing, rather than taking some concrete action about it.

My mom was a cancer survivor/ Packers fan and she hated all that pink crap.

Here is a recent episode of On the Media which goes into how skewed media depictions of cancer impact what cancer gets funded.

Well breast cancer gets so much publicity because they are breasts. They can say things like “Save the Ta-Ta’s” or “Save Second base”. I’ve also seen “Save the Girls”, “Feel your Boobies”. “I Stare Because I Care”, “Busting Our Buns For Boobs”, and
“Boobs: They Need Your Support!”. Something like pancreatic cancer just isnt “sexy”. Its been proven that many companies push this because its a just a way to put the word “breast” on their product.

I’m old enough to remember when cancer of any sort was something that whispered about. Breast cancer was a matter of shame. Doctors worried that ladies wouldn’t be strong enough to bear up to the news. Patients worried that wouldn’t be attractive to men if it was known that they had a breast removed.

The reason all that changed is because of awareness campaigns and patients standing up for themselves and their self image. Why should they be quiet about it, now? Why should anyone else have the right to tell them to sit down and knock it off?

I think cancer survivors (of any sort) should totally rock their survival, but I object to “charitable” organizations that tell other organizations they can’t use the color pink or the words “for the cure”, then rake in loads of cash due to spending more on PR campaigns than actual research.

There are people who are genuinely trying to help, and others that are just cashing in on public awareness.

Only a few days ago, perhaps sparked by some recent awareness day, someone sent me What Good Is Raising Awareness? Just being educated about diseases isn’t enough to make people healthier.

Breast cancer is prominent because it’s so common. One in eight women will develop breast cancer, and it often strikes in the prime of life- which is particularly disruptive for families with young children.

It wasn’t long ago at all that cancer was a taboo topic. People were ashamed or scared to even say the word. It’s because of awareness campaigns that this has changed.

I, too, find the pink stuff cheesy and questionable charities to be off-putting. But I’m grateful that my friends who have lost their mothers can talk ankle or without shame.

Awareness of breast cancer is what gets lots of women in for a mammogram. Those mammograms save lives and save healthcare dollars. Just that simple.

Doesn’t change if you hate pink, or “for the cure”. In countries with universal healthcare, awareness is heavily funded because it significantly reduces healthcare costs. Prevention is much, much cheaper than treatment, especially end of life care. Do the math. Not a waste of time.

Also, HIV awareness totally works. A magic ingredient in HIV prevention is knowing your status. People are dumb and reckless and selfish. But when people know their status, they tend to be just a little less so, and in aggregate that helps a lot. So making people comfortable with getting tested, rather than being so scared they’d rather not know, is valuable.

Public health folks have studied the impact of HIV awareness extensively, including with randomized control trials. Lots of smart people have had a lot of time to put a lot of thought and learning in to this.