Is Ring Around the Rosie Really About Blackbeard the Pirate?

I consulted the internet about the song Ring Around the Rosie and it said that it was about Blackbeard recruiting pirates. He would come into a port and then want more men and would go around singing the song. People then understood that for instance the sing a song of sixpence part was about how much he would pay and they would also get some rye; the blackbirds were the pirates who would jump out and board the victim ship, and so on. It’s all very well worked out. However, I am wondering what this poem meant ON THE SURFACE of it to people at the time of the 16th-century or whenever Blackbeard was. Sure there is the piratical interpretation, but the song must have meant something else to people who were not in on the coverup. This raises questions like did people think queens like bread and honey or did they actually have a reputation for liking bread and honey?, did people actually bake live blackbirds in a pie and expect them to come out singing later on?, etc.

Here’s what Snopes has to say about it.

And here is the same information fron the urbanlegends webite. If Blackbeard was still recruiting in the 1880s when the poem first appeared, then we should be very worried indeed.

Reading the OP is always useful. The song you are referring to is “Sing a song of sixpence” Here’s the straightdope on it.

No, no, I’m talking about ring around the rosie, a pocket full of rye, four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie; when the pie was open the birds began to sing: wasn’t that a dainty dish to set before the king? The king was in the counting house counting out the money, the queen was in the parlor eating bread and honey; the maid was in the garden hanging up the clothes along came a blackbird and hopped upon her nose, not ring around the rosie a pocket full of posies. Please reread my lwhole admittedly long question. However, I bookmarkted the results as they are very interesting about folklore.

Don: you are mixing two songs.

Ring around a rosie, pocket full of posies.
Ashes! Ashes!
You all fall down!

Is reportedly about the black death in Europe. And is not the same song at all.

“Ring around the Rosie” goes as ‘Ring around the rosies, pocketful of posies, ashes, ashes, you all fall down’ and is not about the plague. It is discussed on Snopes as well.

“Sixpence” goes as you quoted except it starts out “sing a song of sixpence, pocketful of rye” and so on.