Is Spectrum (RoadRunner) phone service in New York City Land Line?

I use Spectrum (RoadRunner) phone service (as well as Internet and TV) in New York City.;

I called Spectrum and was told that Spectrum is land line because the signal goes completely through cable.

Soon after I realized that it couldn't be true that the signal goes completely through the cable because you can call people and get calls from people who don’t have cable.

Is spectrum land line? If so, does it have all the virtues of he old land line systems (like being safer from hacks than are cell phones and working when cell phones don’t?

I have them also, it is land line.

You can make and receive calls from people who don’t have cable because calls get routed to the correct carrier from the cable company, and to the cable company from outside, when they detect that the cable company is your carrier.

I’d say it has all the virtues of a land line. As a New Yorker who got fed up with Verizon’s lackadaisical customer service many years ago, I’ve never regretted my switch to cable for my phone and internet connectivity. I think the only drawback likely is that if some big event is broadcast over cable, the cable TV traffic might be so overwhelming that it slows down transmission of the other traffic types.

It’s VOIP. Voice Over Internet Protocol (or Voice Over IP). If it’s a landline, so is Vonage. Granted, it’s not a cell phone and that’s probably the distinction the rep was trying to make, but it’s not POTS either.

As far as hacking it, it’s going to be closer to hacking into your computer than a cell phone, but still different than hacking (or tapping) into a traditional land line.

Another vote for VoIP not being the same as a landline. POTS is tremendously more reliable than VoIP but there’s a lot more flexibility with VoIP. E.g., I can take my phone box and plug it in anywhere in the US (and Canada) and my phone works there. No calls to the phone company, no service visit, etc.

This, from Spectrum site, would seem to imply that Spectrum Phone, while not identical to old-time Land Line, is effectively Land Line.

I believe that when cable doesn’t reach a callers home, the Phone call switches to land line wires and avoids the public Internet.

What from the Spectrum site?
To the end user, it acts, and more importantly looks, like POTS, but it’s not.
It’s like saying sending an email is the same as sending a fax. They both get your message from one person to another, but they do it in such vastly different ways that the comparison pretty much ends there.
If you saw this on the Spectrum site, it’s probably just advertising. Trying to convince people that it’s the same thing so people feel “I don’t like/trust techy stuff/the internet etc” isn’t a good reason to not get it because it’s the same as the service they already have, and for all intents and purposes, it is. I use it at my business (4 lines) and you’d never know it.

Similarities between VoIP and a landline:

1. You can hook up your VoIP box to your house telephone wiring so that traditional phones in your house work as normal. (The box might have a limit of 2 phones it can drive. So for us there’s one classic phone and a wireless phone station. With 4 hand units connected to the wireless station.) This allows us to use the phone in a variety of locations, don’t have to worry about “Where’s my cell phone? Is it charged?” etc. You have one number for the household. Call that number and get anyone or the machine (wireless phone station). We actually listen to our “voicemails”. :slight_smile:

2. Some ISPs have a “fallback” system so if the Internet connection is dead, your old landline takes over. ISPs charge a lot for VoIP. I mean a ridiculous amount. This is one reason why. We go with voip.ms. For fallback, you set a number for incoming calls to dial (e.g., a cellphone). If you have a cellphone anyway, this allows you to avoid the price gouging of an ISP.

Differences between VoIP and a landline: Too many to list. A-D/D-A conversion happens inside your house, the cost is far, far less, etc. For us, there is no distinction between local and long distance. A call’s a call.