Is technology getting out of hand?

I mean, is the human race getting so lazy that were getting machines to do everything for us? Eg, “self parking cars” etc. When you think about, technology can make things easier, but it can also, at times make us deprived of everyday skills. Its one thing finding out if we can create something, but its another thing when everything is done for you.

IMO, technology will not be amazing until it is out of sight, and when it is out of sight, there will be nothing left to do but be human. Basically technology wont be anything to us until it does everything for us, and when it does, then things will really be great.

It’s part of evolution anyway. Natural.

I don’t this it is. . .yet. But certainly it feels like it is.

If i were a mod, this would be in IMHO.

In someways it may have already…For example…My first job was at a Red Roof Inn. We used ledgers, we connected each call by hand, we GAVE portable wake up clocks to people wanting wake ups etc etc…

Now when I go on interviews for jobs or have a job everyone is so impressed by my knowledge. Well computers don’t do anything but do the stuff I learned to do…But they do it MUCH faster and without error. (providing they are programmed right)

I had a job interview with a contorller awhile back and he was amazed that I could look at his paper audit and tell him where he was out of synch virtually immediately.

So in one sense we are losing that ability. BUT in another we are gaining so much more. I embrace computers, for instance I LOVE the software Access. I have done so much with it. More than anyone else could simply because I can combine the old AND new ways.

It is also helpful to remember that things like Faxes, Email weren’ made to save YOU time. They were made to make you that much more efficent. So you can DO MORE.

The only thing I hate in technology is a cell phone.

People have been saying that technology is getting out of hand since Eli Whitney.

The next generation of people always seem to handle it pretty well, though.

Yes. Technology should immediately be stopped and put back in its box. No good will come from it, mark my words.

Technology has never been in hand. Since the first plains apes discovered that fist + rock > fist, skills, mindsets, and in extreme cases anatomy that were essential for the previous generation have been made obselete and eventually lost.

I bet this question was first posted on a broadside at the Straight Dope Coffee Shoppe in Soho, London, and then picked up and sneered at by “Dr. Samuel ‘Cecil’ Johnson,” the world’s smartest human being, and recorded in his weekly diary by “Dr. Johnson’s” amanuensis, “Little James” Boswell.

I will continue that tradition.

What have you been smoking, Flip-Disc? Technology is not getting out of hand.

Technology’s fine, as long as they don’t make cars that go faster than 15 miles per hour, becuase I heard that suffocates you.

This whole technology thing has been out of hand since the first australopithicus (or whoever) knocked two rocks together.

Face it: We’re tool users and we’ve been tool users for at least a million years. We’ve been tool users for so long that we simply do not have the capability of survival without tools. Any line you draw in the sand (over here: “Good Technology”; over there: “Out of Hand Technology”) will be completely arbitrary and probably only make sense to you.

Still, there’s always a certain appeal to this kind of thinking amongst the Luddites …

I was at the Pizza Hut the other day and they couldn’t serve me because their computer was down. I explained how, years ago, I worked for Domino’s Pizza and we took orders by hand on, get this, pencil and paper; we rolled out the dough with a rolling pin; and put the pie in the oven and removed it with a spatula thing when it was done.

Also, most high school graduates can’t make change unless a computer calculates it for them.

When I worked in quality control in manufacturing, I saw engineers making equipment, too often, to make up for basic skills that workers did not have rather than augment the skills that they had. I use a calculator but I am better at mathematics because I know how to do the same work on a slide rule. Technology is a good thing but we shouldn’t lose sight of the concepts that spawn it. BTW I made a post like this a few weeks ago in IMHO and a mockery was made of it.

One thing I’ve noticed is that it’s not so much the level of technology as the rate of it’s advancement that trips people up. People are only psychologically equipped to hande a certain amount of change over a certain period of time. It takes a while for all the implications of a given technology to be discovered, explored, and fully incorporated into society, literature,and our collective psyche. Take a look at how long the internet existed before anyone first made a movie that delved into internet relationships instead of just treating the net as a dramatic sci-fi plot device. Heck look at cars, there are many configurations that would work just as well if not better than the standard ones but it’s only now that people seem halfway willing to embrace them.

Sure technology is out of hand and always has been. When I saw a graduate student in mathematics fish in her back for a calculator when asked to multiply 75 by 8, I realized a divide had been crossed. But until the oil and food runs out, we are stuck with it.

Technology is truely out of hand when graduated students have fish in their backs.

Which just means that those that have those everyday skills have an advantage over those that don’t. Redundancy, and all that.

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the OP considers “parking” to be an everyday skill that’s being lost due to technology… when “parking” is a skill that wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for technology?

So you are saying that although you may use a lighter today to light your fires you still practice with the flint rock or rubbing sticks together to make your own fires? Although you order food in the drive through lane of your fast food windows, you still practice hunting your food with rocks and wooden spears? I think not. Simply because you value the “old ways” of doing certian tasks does not mean that we should continue do use them. So what if I make change from a computer screen, aren’t I at less a risk for errors? So what if I light my cigarettes with a lighter instead of rubbing sticks tothers? Simply because someone does something different from how you were taught to do things doesn’t make them ignorant or out of sight of the concepts that you value, they are merely better at adapting to ever changing technology than you are.

I like Penumbra’s response. I’ve honestly never understood the sentiment that one must maintain a connection to the “old ways”. Who cares if I calculate change by looking at a screen? If calculators could be embedded in the hand, the whole “what about when you don’t have a calculator” argument will become completely irrelevent.

If there’s a technology out there that can make my life easier please tell me why I shouldn’t use it.

When doing my Maths A-level, I used to grab my mates calculator whnever I saw him abusing it by using it for simple calculations and wouldn’t give it back until he told me the right answer (though this was in part to wind him up).

The thing is it is useful to be proficent at basic maths operations without the use of a calculator, as I said to my friend when I took his calculator- “you could of worked that out in your head quicker than it took you to plug it in to your calculator”.

Apropos of not very much, I seem to recall a film from 1935 starring Bela Lugosi called Death by Television.

Humans have always been intimidated by too much change too quickly. Each generation seems to grow up being used to a certain pace of social evolution, and is flexible up to a point as things continue to accelerate, but only up to a point, after which its members start getting nervous and posting questions to public message boards about whether or not technology is getting out of control. :wink:

Now, there is potentially a case to be made that concomitant with the acceleration of technological advancement is a decreasing inability to maintain redundancies to compensate for possible failures. For example, it’s conceivable that a James Bond style villain would be able to launch several thousand fist-sized rocks into orbit which would quickly smash the hell out of our geosynchronous satellites and throw us back to a mid-1960s level of global communications. However, we’re not in the proper forum to make that sort of case, so I’ll leave that alone for now.

Penumbra - When you use a lighter, you strike a piece of flint with a wheel to make a spark. Someone that knew about flint and steel kits engineered it and all that you need to know is that it works. Having an understanding of the origins of technology enables us to make newer and better technoloy.

A microhip is just a bunch of tiny transistors on a piece of silicon. Transistors are just small fancy switches. A light switch on your wall is the same thing and all that it “knows” is off or on (0 or 1). This is really all that computer technology is, a bunch of switches. Throw in some Boolean algebra and you have the internet.

It only matters if you are trying to decide if you want to use what exists or make something someone has dreamed about. It says in Ecclisiastes: “There is no new thing under the sun.”