Is the lack of black fathers the true reason for racial disparity?

To me it just makes sense if you have 2 parents working together to raise the kids they have a better chance at succeeding in getting a good education and a good education can help end the cycle of poverty in which many problems start.

Do you believe this to be true for same sex couples as well. Are two mommies better than one? How about two daddies?

I ask this because The Federalist and Black Dad’s Count are in favor of “traditional” families.

Yes, now please hush up.

Excuse me?

I think there’s a knock on effect because it leads to an imbalance in the sexes. Less men available means less incentive for men to settle down and get married, and women are less likely to hold out for that before having kids, especially when single parenting has become normalised.

IMHO, that will be less about race and more about the courts favouring children being in the custody of the mothers if there’s any hope at all for them to be an acceptable parent.

Well frankly its a different topic, but I dont have any personal experience because all the gay couples I have known didnt have children. The other gay people I knew who had children from a former relationship and shared custody. I read in the news of gay couples adopting or having a kid together where they are both parents but I dont personally know any so I cant give an opinion.

I work at a place where the black female to male ratio is about 5 to 1.

The word you want is “led”.

I suspect a preference for placement with the mother factored into the situations I have seen. I also suspect a preference, conscious or not, for placement with the white parent over the black parent may have also factored into the decisions.
My point is that I don’t think lack of black fathers is the “true reason” for racial disparity, although it is a factor. I think racial disparity is a complex issue with multiple causes and multiple effects, many of which feed vicious cycles, so that “racial disparity is a cause for the lack of black fathers” is also true.

puddleglum focuses on men actively in prison at any given point, but that’s misleading.

As of 2001, one in every 3 black boys could expect to go to prison within his lifetime. Sit with that for a minute. Imagine what it does to a marriage for one member to spend time in prison, and how likely the marriage is to survive that experience. Imagine how it affects a person’s marriage prospects to have been in prison. Consider how a prison record affects a person’s earning potential, ability to get loans, and otherwise navigate the financial world, and what implications that has for marriage.

Marriage rates aren’t only affected by currently being in prison. Imprisonment has lifelong consequences.

But would so many end up in prison if they grew up with fathers in the home?

Would so many not have fathers in the home if we stopped imprisoning so many black men? This is classic victim-blaming here.

I can see where your coming from and I dont have a good answer. All I am saying is much of the racial disparity in education and achievement can be traced back to single parent families.

I’m gonna recommend a book to you, an audiobook I’m listening to: How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibrim X. Kendi. It may give you a different take on what’s causing those disparities, and how “single parent families” tie into the whole shebang.

There would be less black men in prison if they did not commit crimes and they would be less likely to commit crimes if they had fathers in the home.

And they would have fathers in the home if they weren’t imprisoned in such disproportionate numbers, among the highest rates in human history.

Another interesting article on single-parent homes, and how to alleviate poverty.

Imprisonment affects marriages of offenders but marriage affects offending. Marriage reduces criminality by 35 percent.

Okay, so these affects go both ways. Where can we interrupt the cycle you suggest? If we stop imprisoning so many black men–something we can definitely do, good lord–then if you’re right, they’ll get married more, and black kids will have more two-parent families, and outcomes will improve. As a matter of public policy, this one seems pretty obvious.

Who is “we”? Our culture is anti marriage and that is what needs to change. Sentencing reform may help a little on the margin, but changing the culture would be more powerful and direct.