Is (The Late) Lawrence Welk's Home a National Historic Shrine?

I happened to see LW (rerun,obviuosly) on TVLAND…and remembered something about his boyhood home (somewhere in North Dakota) being administered by the Federal Government as a museum. Now, I don’tknow how many people make the trek to ND to see Welk’s home, but I’m guessing the numbers are pretty small.
Let’s faceit, Lawrence Welk’s fans (if they are still alive) aren’t inclined to drive out to the middle of nowhere. Plus, I don’t see teenagers watching reruns of “champaign music”.
How much does it cost the government to maintain these shrines that nobody visits? Seems to me that there are hundreds of these places, all draining the federal budget, whose significance is lost to the current generation. Who visits Calvin Coolidges house? Does Millard Fillmore interest you? :confused:

All I could find on the National Park Service site is that Lawrence Welk, along with many others, is honored at the Homestead National Monument of America in Beatrice, Nebraska.

NPS link

Perhaps this site will help. His boyhood home is evidently on the National Historic list of places? and is funded by private concerns.

If the Welk home is on the National Register of Historic Places, that’s a quite different thing than being a National Monument (definitely not a National Shrine as those aren’t designated by the Federal Government).

I’ve got a few buildings that are on the Register within a few blocks of me including my local movie theater.

There were plans for the Federal funding but it didn’t pan out. From http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/history_culture/lawrence_welk/wirereports.html

I’ve got a barn that Lawrence Welk supposedly played a barn dance in.
If anyone wants to help me paint it, that’d be fine…

On a related note, I live in New England, and the Christian Science Church seems to keep every house that their founder (Mary Baker Eddy) ever lived in, as a museum. These places are always lit at night by candles in the windows…wonder how many tourists they attarct.
As I say, these places probably attract people while a large group of people (who have known about the ex-president, celebrity, etc. was still alive). However, who is going to visit the Jimmy CArter boyhood home (in Plains GA) after he croaks?
What really kills me…every once in a while you read about some dead political crook who gets a statue or monument…take the James Michael Cury (mayor of Boston in the 1910-40’s era). The man was a crook and a thief, whose administrations were so corrupt and graft-ridden that he became an embarrassment-he has a statue in Boston! And his house (which he built with money extorted from city contractors) was seriously proposed to be made a museum in his memory!
I can imagine a toutist in 2104 going to North Dakota, and blundering in the Lawrence Welk home…scrating his head and wondering who this guy was! :smiley:

I’ve got to say that I’ve got a group of friends and about one Saturday a month we have cocktails with the Lawrence Welk hour on PBS, then we head out to dinner. The show is sooooooooo kitschy and fun (and we’re all in our late twenties/early thirties FWIW).
“Tank you Bobby and Sis.”
We’ve never been inclined to go up to the Dakotas to see his home, but if we were driving through the state, I’d wanna stop. Not a destination, but it’d be an en route pitstop. Take that with a grain of salt because I was just at the Spam Museum last month. :smiley:

Very few, if not none, of the presidents who have passed away have not had a historical site of some kind dedicated for them by either the National Park Service or the State where they grew up.

Franklin Pierce

Warren Harding

Andrew Johnson Millard Fillmore

William Henry Harrison

John Tyler James Buchanan

Since Jimmy Carter already has a library and museum dedicated to him in a large city, I doubt that he will be easily forgotten.

This is spoken from a guy who has gone here twice! And I don’t even live in Michigan.