Is the quarter coin unique to the US and Canada?

Oman has a 25 baisa coin (one quarter of a rial.) India used to have a quarter-rupee/25 paisa coin, but it’s no longer in circulation because of inflation. The smallest subdivision now is the 50 paisa; a rupee is worth under 2 cents.

ETA: link doesn’t work for me either. Regional block?

Odd. The link works fine for me.

Germany used to have a 25 pfennig coin, Spain used to have a 25 peseta coin and France used to have a 25 centimes coin. All long gone now that they all use the Euro.

That is strange. I get the 403 error too. Why would a link work for some and not others?

It’s a 403 forbidden page due to trying to access a bare image. Many websites are set up to use something called a referrer to see what page led you to a particular URL. This keeps people from using the image on their own site. Often you can get around this by clicking in the URL field and then pressing enter, which counts as typing it directly and thus has no referrer at all.

As for Colibri, he likely has the image in his cache from when he found the image, and thus the image is being loaded from his hard drive rather than the website itself.

And the nine dollar bill!

We have them in Brazil. 5 cents, 10, 25, 50 and 1 real. Then the bills are: 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100

Pre- decimal UK coinage had the half crown (1/8) of a pound as a fully circulating coin ( the crown in later years was commemorative only, but worth 1/4 of a pound. Confusingly as well as the half crown 1/8, we also had the florin in circulation- 1/10 of a pound. So the coins were: farthing 1/960, Halfpenny 1/480, penny 1/240, threepenny bit 1/80, sixpence 1/40, shilling 1/20, florin 1/10, half crown 1/8. Not to mention historic and oddities- mark 1/3 pound, guinea 1 and 1/20 of a pound.

Anyway, here’sa different image of the coins.

Some countries in the Caribbean use the East Caribbean Dollar, which has a 25-cent piece that is the same size as the Canadian 25-cent piece. I know this because I got one in my change once. I offered to mail it back to someone I know who lives in one of those countries.

Add Barbados to the list. Their coins are exactly the same as US coins and easy to confuse, although their dollar is pegged at .50 USD.

Germany didn’t have a 25 pfennig coin. The pfennig coins were 1, 2, 5, 10, and 50 pfennigs (plus 1, 2, and 5 marks, and 10 marks commemorative coins). Maybe way back, but certainly not up until the introduction of the euro.

That’s quite true, with the exception of the Eagle. The American currency system is legally defined in the following way by the relevant statute (31 U.S.C. § 5101):

What about the nickel?

Similarly, Germany used to have 2 1/2 DM coins too.

I believe that Bahamas, the Cayman Islands and Bermuda have 25 cent coins.

nm

Answering both of your questions.

The Eagle is only currently used with bullion (and maybe commemorative) coins, but it was originally part of the definition of US coinage. I assume they got rid of it when the discontinued the use of gold in coins back in the 30s.

And as I said in the original, the “nickel” was originally a half di(s)me so it did fall into the half-type coinage.

Although they now say 50 Dollars.

I’ve learned from various mathematical puzzles that power-of-two denominations is that most efficient way of making change. Obviously merchants and bankers of old noticed this too. Unfortunately, our numbering system is base-10 instead of base-2 so they made the very logical adjustments of bumping 4 up to 5, 2 up to 2-and-a-half, 12-and-a-half down to 10, and/or some combination. It’s quite interesting. (I don’t know how the 3-cent coin was supposed to fit.)

Cayman definitely. We have 1, 5, 10, and 25 cent pieces. The 25 cent piece is commonly referred to as a quarter and is the same size as a US quarter. The 10 cent piece is larger than the 5 cent coin however.

In paper currency we have 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 dollar bills. No 20. Years ago there was a 40 dollar bill but it is no longer made.