Is the quarter coin unique to the US and Canada?

The three cent coin in the US was invented to facilitate purchasing a first class stamp without having to make change(which was in short supply).

That sounds queer.

I have a Chatham Islands $3 note. The Chathams are a dependency of New Zealand and are rather remote. They minted notes for $1 through to $9 (or was it $10) for use during the year 2000. They were never legal tender but were an accepted form of currency on the island during that time. No, I don’t get how that works.

New Zealand also has a $150 gold coin that is legal tender. Legal tender officially anyway. It was minted as a commemorative coin and did not go into general circulation. IIRC, only a thousand were minted and they cost $650 to buy. The point being that if someone wanted to buy goods or services using that coin then you would be obligated to honour its $150 face value. I doubt that it has actually happened.

The US did mint a 20-cent piece for a while in the 19th century. It wasn’t very popular and they soon stopped making them. The main reason was that silver coins were thought to get their value from the amount of silver in the coin. Since the 20-cent piece was similar in value to the quarter, it perforce had to be a very similar size. So they were frequently mixed up (they had virtually the same obverse, which also contributed to this).

Note that it was a 20-cent piece and not a 2-dime piece. Not sure why they denominated them that way.

Despite the name, that’s a very different coin. The original eagle was a specie coin worth (and labeled) ten dollars. It was meant for circulation. Not sure why they weren’t labeled “one eagle” instead of ten dollars. You’d think that if eagle were an official denomination, they’d be labeled with it, just as the dime is labeled “one dime”.

What you linked to is a bullion coin not meant for circulation. Wikipedia calls it an American Gold Eagle. It has a nominal value of $50, but that’s mainly because official coinage tends to have more appeal to gold traders than other forms of gold. It’s actual value is whatever the price of gold is.
BTW, the US also once minted a $3 gold coin.

But pesetas weren’t a division of a unit, they were the unit; the peseta was divided in céntimos and there were 5, 10, 25 and 50 céntimos coins in use as recently as the 1980s .

All the Scandinavian countries had 25 øre coins. While Sweden and Norway on the way to eliminating the øre coins got rid of everything but the 10 and 50 øre in the 80s, Denmark instead kept just the 25 and 50 øre and kept them until 2008.

That’s not what legal tender means. Legal tender relates to settling debts, not making purchases etc. Legal tender - Wikipedia

But that reminds me, when I was in Rarotonga I picked up a Cook Islands $3 note. As well as the unusual denomination, it is “notable” for being mildly NSFW.

This is correct. That’s how I remember it too.

NO SHIT, Sherlock?

Did you completely miss the quote that I was replying to?

Seriously dude, read for comprehension before you decide to lecture people. :rolleyes:

You missed my point. The current Eagle is totally unrelated to the Eagle of yore. You and OldGuy are conflating the two.

As the point of it using the same name for a different purpose goes whooshing over your head. :rolleyes:

I just did a quick search and found coins in current usage of 25 units in quite a few countries. Not all are fractional , as inflation in many countries has reduced the primary base unit to less than any practical denomination for a coin. Those with coins of 25 units include:

Israel, Philippines, Turkey, Romania, Malaysia, Egypt, Iraq, Pakistan, Argentina, Surinam, Indonesia. The Indian 25 paise was recently retired, and no doubt a few of those above have suffered a similar demise.

[Moderator Note]

Chimera, dial it back. There’s no need for the snark and rolleyes. No warning issued, but keep it civil.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Candy bars and dollar store-type items tend to cost a bit more in Korea, since they’re even less likely to be produced domestically than their American equivalents. The 500 won coin fills the same approximate role in Korea that the quarter fills in America (although a bag of a thousand of them is worth considerably more than a bag of a thousand quarters).

The UK 25p crown (usually commemorative) is still legal tender, although not minted since the 1980s.

(All of the kids at my school were given a commemorative crown for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 - I remember some of my friends just spending them straight away)

And Thailand, as mentioned.

:o German 25 pfennig coin.

My dad collects coins of Europe.

Ah, well, under the German Empire, yes.

Are these commemorative crowns still big cartwheels about the size of a pre-1936 U.S. silver dollar?

I’m certain this is not true. There may have been a 2 1/2 marks coin in one of the pre-1948 systems, like the pre-WWI 25 pfennigs coin we’ve seen. But these were different currencies that only shared the name with the deutschmark (DM) that existed from 1948 until the introduction of the euro.