Is the Spongebob movie canon?

Coin-operated self destruct…not one of my better ideas.

Then again, this IS Spongebob we’re talking about. Not exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier. :wink:

Very good points made, although it is worth mentioning that despite having what we could consider menial jobs, the non-fish characters seem to do quite well for themselves, mostly living in private homes in the suburbs, while most other BBites we see live in the city proper.

Sandy, for instance, was able to have a custom home built, complete with fauna and flora from the surface brought down somehow. We never see her having a job, but we do see her using or creating many presumably expensive gadgets (usually far more advanced than what we see most BB residents having access to) and going on various elaborate expeditions. She could arguably be one of the most wealthy residents of Bikini Bottom, wheras most squirrels you see in Texas (her place of origin) are poor, making a living by scrounging or begging for food.

I think she is likely a former figure of some importance in squirrel society, possibly a wealthy industrialist or military officer (note her high physical fitness and mastery of the martial arts) having fled a social upheaval of some sort, or, a more sinister possibility, a former government official who cleaned out the treasury and ran.

I like your thinking. I think you are onto something with Sandy.

I’m not sure about the suburbs vs. city living thing. Maybe in Bikini Bottom city living is considered desirable, the way it was in this country before, say, the 1950s.

I also have been seeing a lot of articles lately about how some city neighborhoods are becoming more popular with empty nesters, DINKs, and even young families who just a decade or two ago would have abandoned the city for the suburbs. Maybe Bikini Bottom is ahead of the curve in this regard.

Whew.

I thought it was the funniest thing I’ve read on the SDMB in a while.

Yesterday when I first read it, I almost posted “first person who answers this seriously gets beat to a pulp by the cool kids” but then I thought, “well, if he’s serious, that might come across as snarky.”

Now, I don’t know what to think.