Is there a baseball or basketball term equivalent to football's "Hail Mary"?

As I understand it, a Hail Mary is a play in football when a team in danger of losing in the final seconds of a game makes a desperate, do-or-die attempt to score. Is there an equivalent term in baseball or basketball?

Yes, I AM that big a nerd.

In basketball, it’s called the…hail mary.

There’s no specific desperate play in baseball, but a successful come from behind win via homerun is called a walk-off homerun.

In baseball, a suicide squeeze may be the closest to a “do or die” play. Runner on third charges for home as the pitcher delivers the ball, hoping the batter can lay down a bunt so the runner can score.

Or, if it’s a tie game and 2 out in the bottom of the ninth, with a runner on second, any base hit that clears the infield should score the winning run. The names of Francisco Corbrero (sp?) and Sid Bream will live forever in Braves (and Pirates) history…BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN!

I think the best baseball analogy would be, “A bloop and a blast.”

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but, in baseball, if a guy gets a hit which causes the winning run to cross the plate, thus ending the game on that play, it’s informally called a “walkoff” hit.

So, if the Brewers are down 3-2, with a man on, in the bottom of the ninth, and Ryan Braun hits a home run, the game would end at that moment, and his hit would be referred to as a “walkoff homer.”

Oak, suicide squeeze works well for my purpose. I pulled up the Wikipedia article and am reading about it.

Thanks to everybody who contributed.

I was going to say the suicide squeeze as well, but I’m wondering if for the total-desperation factor that a straight steal of home in the 9th with 2 outs wouldn’t be a better comparison. It’s probably* a lower-percentage play, but the circumstances that would entail it (a batter who couldn’t bunt to save his life, I guess) are more uncommon.

• I realize as a self-respecting baseball fan, I’m supposed to be able to spout statistics at will…apologies

In baseball, a similar desperate play is when they bring the outfield in to prevent a runner from scoring from third. They only do this in a situation where a sacrifice fly would win the game for the other team. This is just called “bringing the outfield in” as far as I know.

In basketball, you’ll throw up the buzzer beater as time expires. There will be some absolutely absurd clips on YouTube of people bombing it full court (of course every example of failure won’t make it on).

In a critical situation a baseball team might employ a no doubles defense to keep the other team from getting a big hit to the outfield. Once in a rare while you’ll see a team bring in an extra infielder, leaving only two men in the outfield.

If the home team is trailing, the bottom of the ninth inning (or any extra inning) is called “last licks.”

“Swinging for the fences” might be a comparable baseball term.
Not exactly the same thing, but it does imply a somewhat desperate, last-ditch effort.

When teams are desperate for runs, they try to “manufacture” them by playing small ball (singles, stealing, aggressive base-running), not swinging for the fences.

If it’s bottom of the ninth, down by one, two out, nobody on, that is a situation where you might swing for the fences.

I don’t think a suicide squeeze counts, BTW, because you don’t typically see it in desperate, last-ditch, hail mary type situations.

You can’t seriously think I know what any of that means. Don’t make me start talking about phonology in revenge. :smiley:

ETA: I’m taking your jackboots again.

I thought it was all self-explanatory. A no-doubles defense is supposed to keep the batter from hitting a double, that’s pretty much all there is to it. (This is done by having the outfielders stand further away from the batter.) Same thing with the extra infielder: usually a team has four infielders and three outfielders, but if they’re desperate, they might bring an outfielder up closer, and have five infielders and two outfielders.

Depends on the team and on the batter, really. Sammy Sosa used to try to hit 5-run homers all the time.

Still, I’m not sure if there’s really a good example of a direct translation for “Hail Mary” in baseball. They’re very different sports. Just ask George Carlin.

Note that a Hail Mary isn’t just a desperate last-second play in general, but specifically one involving a very long pass (the name comes from the notion that it’s in the air long enough to say a complete “Hail Mary” prayer). Depending on your players, you might also try a long run in a desperate situation. And you might also attempt a Hail Mary early in a game in a low-pressure situation, to try to put some points on the board quickly and turn it into a high-pressure situation for the other team (though this is probably less common than the desperate ones).

How does one hit a five-run homer? A grand slam is only 4.

And there are variants, such as the Dirty Birds’ dastardly “Big Ben Left” where they stack all the receivers on that side, let the QB heave it as far as he can, all receivers fight for the ball, and inevitably one of them will catch it in the endzone to beat the Saints. Happened twice in one season, IIRC.

It’s a bit of hyperbole, implying Sosa was swinging as hard as he possibly could, and probably going to strike out, missing the pitch by a mile.