Is there a male equivalent of the little black dress?

I have a go-to black Utilikilt.

You mean tailored, don’t you? Fitted pretty much means slim cut, and there are lots of us who can’t hack slim cut clothing.

I agree, btw, about the dark suit as LBD equivalent. What people are missing is that it’s the equivalent level of formality. It might be socially accepted for a man to dress a level or two less formal than a woman, but I sense a double standard in that. I like to dress “up” to a woman.

Another thought: ties. Once they were essential with a suit, but now you’re seeing suits without them. A man has to be careful when and where he wears a tie today. If it’s not expected, it can imply you’re stuffy or pretentious.

Agree. The dark suit/white shirt a la Clooney looks fab, but a less “dressy” option would be the black slacks/black jeans with black cashmere V-neck.

That’s part of what makes a suit the male equivalent of an LBD – it can be made more formal with appropriate accessories. Unless the occasion is so formal that it’s black- or white-tie only, a man will probably be fine in a dark suit and tie.