Is There A Place In The USA Where It Only Snows Around Christmas?

In sitcoms it only seems to snow around the Christmas episodes. How convenient huh?

From the Mary Tyler Moore Show

Anyway I was wondering is there a place in the the USA where the area gets snow but only around the end of December or beginning of January. Then it gets warm again?

I lived in Nashville one year but it didn’t snow at all that winter. Well it did but it was very light and didn’t last 24 hours, but maybe that winter was just warm?

Any ideas?

I can’t answer your question, but I can point out that our first snowfall this year fell on Christmas Day. Unfortunately, it also came with ice the night before which made the trip to my grandfather’s a bit tricky.

Certain parts of Southern New Mexico and very Western Texas only get snow on or around Christmas. Christmas day and a few days before and after are frequently markedly colder than other days which can easily result in snow only on Christmas.

The only response to that is: “Cite?”

How in the world am I supposed to provide a citation for that? Did I wander into GD or something? :confused:

BigT better cough up a cite too if I have to.

Mary Tyler Moor featured snow often–it “took place” in Minneapolis, ferchrissake.
Bob Newhart also featured snow often, as did Newhart, Hogan’s Heroes, and others.

There is no place in USA where it only snows around Xmas–where on Earth would such a place be? Temperature changes occur over time, those things we call seasons, which typically last longer than say, Epiphany.

And the coldest temperatures tend to be in late January, not December. Of course, coldest temperature doesn’t necessarily mean greatest snowfall.

Don’t forget, winter doesn’t start until December 21 and ends on March 21, so why would it only snow on the first few days of the coldest 3 months of the year?

I don’t think there is anyplace where it will only snow around Christmas and not occasionally have rain, sleet, snow, fog, or sun sometimes.

Well, your statement is so definitive (and so absurd), that it just cries for some substantiation. I mean, I could claim that Scottsdale only gets snow from 2:30 to 2:51 PM on Christmas day, but that doesn’t make it factual (or believable).

As far as your statement goes, here is a monthly temperature chart of Las Cruces. You will notice that January is just slightly colder than December. I think if you do the research, you will find that this is almost always true for the entire US.

Well I realize that there’s no right or wrong to this question, and basically if you were having a sitcom set in an area where it would be likely to snow starting around December 24th and then maybe have snow or cold weather for a month then warm up.

That’s called winter.

That place is known as “Hollywood sound stage” and has nothing to do with reality. Reality is demonstrated in temperate climes as 4 seasons per year, one of them involving hibernation, cold temps (including frost and subzero), precipitation from the sky commonly referred to as snow (or “more fucking snow”), and fewer hours of daylight. I hope this helps you. :stuck_out_tongue:

How does this NOT fit into the parameters of the OP? The OP asked if there was a place where it was cold in late December/early January, and then started warming up. That’s pretty much what your chart shows.

Anecdotally, a friend recently told me that December is the coldest month in the part of the Bay Area where she lives. Granted, this being the Bay area, they don’t get snow, they get maybe a frost. But in the surrounding hills, they do get snow, so I think that also satisfies the parameters of the OP.

Here’s a chart that backs up the assertion – the average coldest month in San Jose, CA is December. Of the six occasions when San Francisco has received an inch or more of snow, four of them were in December or early January. The most recent example was December 11, 1932… So I think San Francisco might (barely) satisfy the criteria of the OP, although if you want a white Xmas, you’re going to have to be prepared to wait a while for it.

wrong thread

Okay. So? Colder doesn’t automatically mean “OMG it’s cold, therefore we get snow!”

Please, carefully read the post I was responding to.

Cite?
This IS mpsims you know …

:stuck_out_tongue: