Is there a song going through your head?

From these threads, there are two different phenomena being discussed- songs playing in your head and songs stuck in your head. Not the same thing.

I occasionally get songs (or, rather, a few bars of songs) repeating ad nauseum. However, in the back of my mind there is almost always a song running in its entirety, like background noise. I don’t pay much attention to it.

Hmm, on rereading that, perhaps there IS something wrong with me!

Thank you, gigi. Just to remind others what the OP is:

I’m quite confident that this topic has arisen in IMHO before; if not, please feel free to start one. Else, please try to help the OP (and me) understand how often this phenomenon occurs, what causes it, whether it occurs in other cultures, etc.

Thanks to the Rodger’s cable commercial, my brain is currently playing…

“99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer…if one of those bottles should happen to fall, 98 bottles of beer on the wall…”

I don’t know anything technical as in a specific name or frequency of occurance- sorry! But you know how sometimes when you go to sleep, you run through the whole day in your head, or a certain conversation or whatever, and your brain is just so active? I think the song playing must be kind of like that. Just the brain’s way of staying awake (I know there are times I can’t sleep at all cuz of the music in my head!). I wonder if it has anything to do with short-term memory, too. Like when you hear a phone number, you repeat it over and over, until it becomes part of your longterm memory. Maybe this is a glitch in that system, which might explain the “two or three lines repeated over and over” phenomenon.

Good enough of a try for GQ Manny?

"…98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer…

Yes, this is very common. It happens with the last song I heard that was CUT OFF. If I don’t have closure to the song, I sing it forever in my head. Unfortunately, right now, I don’t have a song, but a stupid jingle in my head. Over and over, all I hear is “Every kiss begins with Kay.” AHHHHH.

Often, when I have a song really stuck in there, I’ll ask my girlfriend, “what song do you have stuck in your head?” 95% of the time, it’s the same song I’ve got running through mine. (when we’ve been listening to the same thing (tv, radio, etc)) Apparently some songs work better for that than others!

Jman

Now that I think about it, I do have the last cutoff song running through my head. It’s either that or one suggested to me by someone else singing it or mentioning it. And now thanks to jman it’s “Every kiss begins with Kay…”

I wish I knew why this happened but the more that I think about it, there’s always a song playing in the back of my head if I’m distracted enough to listen to it. Is this some part of your brain that just got stuck on autopilot where you ditched it last?