Is there a tablet or a tablet OS that doesn't suck?

That’s not really an issue with the OS then.

Anyway, Settings -> General Settings -> Date & Time allows you to set your time zone (or have the device automatically keep it set based on location info).

This is pretty much your answer.

To extend the advice, maybe a laptop would suit you better? The low-end ones have pretty competitive prices versus higher end tablets.

I think so too. A laptop or Surface tablet are the only tablets I know of that you can get real work done on easily.

If you want a capable device I would not suggest a Kindle, they are more restrictive than iPads in many ways and designed primarily to consume Amazon content.
But really neither tablets nor computers are that easy to use, you’ve got to put in the time to tinker and learn to get full advantage out of them.

It’s not an either-or. 2-in-1 computers are basically laptop hardware with the ability to fold into a tablet configuration, with a touch screen. $350 gets you a basic 10" 2-in-1, so they’re not even all that expensive compared to tablets. (of course, you could also go nuts and spend a heck of a lot more). You have higher weight and lower battery life (3 lbs and 4 hours, say) compared to an iPad (1 lb and 10 hours, say), but you get the full-featured OS, a full-size hard drive and a removable battery.

That’s why I’m looking at these options. Combined with an LTE hotspot device, a VOIP application and a Bluetooth headset, I’d have a reasonable compromise for a laptop, tablet and phone all in one device.

Not my first rodeo, pal. It still took a while to get it to stick.

Probably this, but I’ll look at the Kindle because I need something better for reading in low light than my Palm IIIxe. Which I can then hook up to my found MIDI keyboard, although nearly anything else would work better. Wife doesn’t like it when I experiment with her fancy, looks like a real stand-up, electric piano because I, um, break things. And the keyboard has more voices, all the better for the piles of MIDIs at http://www.kunstderfuge.com/ . Files created from player piano rolls cut by Scott Joplin and Rachmaninov!

I don’t mean to offend, but “real work” is a meaningless term unless you actually have a definition of what’s real work and what is not. There is plenty of productivity that can be easily accomplished with the right tablet.

With a name like control-z I assume “real work” involves a keyboard. :wink:

It really should be noted that the Amazon products mentioned use a version of Android as the basis of the operating system. On top of that is the part designed by Amazon, most of which is designed just to make it easier to browse the Amazon site. They do not have access to the Google play application site, nor do they have Google Maps, etc.

They are cheap only because they did not have to pay for the operating system (except the interface) since Google gives that away and because they did not license Google Services.

However, I would never expect a $25.00 refurbished table to be very good and would not expect it.

Bob

I’ve had my Trio for about 6 months and I love it.

Here are the specs:

Trio AXS 4G 7.85" Tablet
16GB
Quad Core
Google Android 4.4
WiFi
Front and rear facing cameras
Free data monthly for the life of the tablet from T-Mobile.

I got mine on QVC. It was a Today’s Special for $99. It’s super fast and I have never had a single problem with it. At home it connects to WiFi, and as soon as I leave the house it automatically connects to T-Mobile’s free data.

Which could be annoying, but I’m not big on apps.

Please note that I went into this with as clear a head as I can manage, expecting the worst, and was surprised at how GOOD that POS was! I expected slow and incapable of streaming video. It was the interface that bothered me, and I assume I would have that fixed/my fingers retrained soon.

Except I dropped it. The screen is uncracked and because all I can see are horizontal lines that change with the mode, so the rest of it is working, my default diagnosis is that a cable fetched loose. I opened it up and haven’t found any, but I have better lighting today. And a $50 gift card and the new $50 Kindle Fire 7 calling my name. And I really would like a stylus, too, for my fingertips are too fat.

Press and hold is how text selection works on tablets, as far as I know. I’m not sure how you could do it any other way. You have to be able to swipe, so that can’t start text selection.

And Googling how to do this is standard on any new interface for me.

BTW, the one thing that annoys me right now is that more expensive means glass screen. I don’t get it. My cheap phone has a plastic screen that I can drop as much as I want. That seems far more important than making sure I can view my device at any angle.

Did google. It just didn’t usually work. Fat fingers and all. Will probably work better on bigger screen, but they are outside my experiment budget.

If you’re budget-limited, I don’t think you’re going to find as sweet a deal as the Fire, unless you’re willing to deal with obsolete-out-the-box tablets from third-party mfgs.

However, you say you hate apps, but they’re really what make tablets/smartphones great in terms of interface… otherwise you’d be stuck with using mobile websites, which are OK but not as nice as a native program.

Case in point, I don’t think the Fire has a native YouTube app OR Chrome. It uses the YouTube mobile website and the Amazon “Silk” browser. Both should be “good enough”, but a lot of usability comes from having standard apps that are designed for a given operating system, which mobile websites are not. If you’re uncertain, watch a few YouTube videos first.

On the other hand, the Fire tablets work great with the Amazon ecosystem… Kindle ebooks, Audible audiobooks, Prime music and videos, shopping, etc. But most of that works fine on native-Google tablets, too.

Basically, the big tablet manufacturers (Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft) are more and more headed towards their own individualized, “walled garden” ecosystems and only hesitantly support other brands. Their apps and services are best on their own devices. All this mean is that non-first-party devices are second-tier citizens, so Google services are best on Google devices, Amazon’s are best on theirs, and cross-brand apps/services are merely OK.

Fortunately for you, the Fire runs Android underneath, so if you really want regular Android apps (YouTube or Chrome or Gmail) on it, just look into something called “sideloading”. There’s a few hoops to jump through, but it might get you the best of both worlds, especially at that price point.

It depends what you are used to. IOS and Android have different enough idioms that it’s hard to switch from one to the other.

I use Android every day. When I try to use my iPad it drives me bonkers.

Don’t hate apps, just have simple needs and not in the market for most of what’s offered.

Yeah, I’ve been looking at that, and rooting it when the warranty runs out.

Syluses are pretty inexpensive. Here’s the Amazon Basic Stylus, which comes in different styles and widths -

You can also get some that plug into your earphone jack, so they don’t get lost. Of course, that means your earphones are unplugged, so YMMV.

On the Kindle UI, when you hold and release on a some text, it will highlight the word you pressed. At either end of the highlighted area, there’s a little vertical bar. You can click and drag on those bars to increase or decrease the selection.

Also, when you’re typing, you can press and hold on one of the keyboard keys - a little menu will pop up with other options, for example, if you wanted to capitalize a single letter, or if you wanted to insert a letter with an accent. This can be a fast way to type what you want.

I think a stylus will help you with that. It probably would have helped with the time settings you were having in Android (assuming that wasn’t a hardware problem).

Let us know what you think when you get it.

IMO styluses like that are kind of shit, though of course many other people are happy with them. They’re barely more precise than a fingertip, and you lose any tactile feedback. I’ve tried using them for handwriting notes, and it feels like using a crayon.

Unfortunately for the OP, tablets with good styluses are uncommon and expensive. The only ones that might be cheap enough for the OPs screw-around-with-for-fun budget are used/refurb early model Galaxy Note “phablets”, or the Galaxy Note 8".

Probably because the added cost of using something like Gorilla Glass over plastic is close to trivial. For that extra dollar or two (or whatever) you get a screen that is highly resistant to scratches, unlike a plastic screen, yet still has a good survivability rate when dropped. You’re getting the best of both worlds. Well, not you, but everyone else is.

The last smartphone I saw with a regular glass screen was so horribly scratched from just normal use that I shudder to think how a plastic screen would hold up.

Dinky keyboard when vertical, takes over most of the screen when horizontal. Long tap works better, still not perfect. I would like some arrow keys. Have not thrown it into traffic yet.