Is there a word for this action?

The act of counting banknotes the same way that a bank teller does, i.e., rubbing each bill between thumb and forefinger, one by one, to count out the stack.

Would you say that is “flipping” the bills?

According to Cash Handling Trainingby The Association of Public Treasurers, what you are describing is the “Walk Through Method”.

Thanks Crazy, I was looking for something like that.

Back in my training days (this was 14 years ago), at one of Australia’s big four banks it was simply called the ‘right way’ :stuck_out_tongue: You got in trouble for counting hand to hand or hand to table.

It was simply called the the ‘pinch lift and roll’ method.

It does take a little bit of practice, but once you have it down pat it is the only way to count large stacks of cash.