Is there actually a way to kill someone and leave no sign of it being a murder?

If you can get them to go boating with you they can always fall overboard. Drowning looks exactly like drowning. You may even have the bonus of the body not being recovered at all.

As long as nobody else knows you both went out together that day and there’s no surveillance video anywhere.

If what I’ve been told by Forensic Files is true, then succinylcholine poisoning is almost completely undetectable because it degrades within a matter of minutes after injection and leaves no telltale by-products.

Of course, they’ve only mentioned in cases where people got caught using succinylcholine as a murder weapon.

I came here to mention succinylcholine too, but the murderer would have to have access (either to the manufacturer or as a hospital worker with a code to the pharm dispenser).

Alternatively, you could stab someone in the chest with a blade made of ice. When the ice melts, the evidence disappears.

And make sure you leave your cellphone at home.

A stab wound in the chest is a pretty good indication of it being a murder, even if the weapon is never found. I think the OP was referring to methods of murder that makes it look like a natural death.

It doesn’t necessarily need to fool an autopsy. If there is no indication of foul play, there won’t even be an autopsy. (Though I suppose if a young healthy person suddenly drops dead, that may be considered enough of an indication of foul play.)

It’s possible to be convicted of murder without the body ever being found. It’s harder, is all.

Isn’t that basically what Charles Manson did with LSD?

How about cremation?

What? Why would a rabies vax that doesn’t kill a 1lb kitten kill a human in 6 months?

My mom just read a book about this case. Here’s an articleabout the case.

Crematoriums keep track.

If you’re thinking “burn body in back yard”, you’ve watched way too many TV shows and tacky movies.

The temperatures and oxygen requirements to “completely” burn an adult human require some heavy-duty equipment.

And you still have “cremains” to destroy/hide.

You might be right or you might be wrong. I guess we’ll know if anyone dies and if process servers/subpoenas ever show up at the Chicago Reader.
INAL, but I’m confident that every effort would be made to protect your IP address / identity, because even if you could be charged with being an Accessory to Murder or part of a conspiracy to commit murder with premeditation,
a poster is innocent until proven guilty…

…or my name isn’t Joe Isuzu.

Life in prison Pretty good evidence that he did it.

Once again, Law & Order, but can’t they sometimes tell by the way they landed if they were pushed vs. fell/jumped?

IANA expert in this.

I’d suggest that more often the investigation is inconclusive, but might lead them to think foul play is more likely than not. It’s not going to be TV-conclusive except in cases like the victim was stabbed & tossed off the cliff & the dumb bad guy assumed the fall would destroy the evidence. But it didn’t.

And if foul play is suspected, the cops then corner the likely suspects and overplay the evidence hoping to get a confession, or at least additional incriminating evidence. And *that’s *what closes the case.

That’s why you get a job at a crematorium a year before hand. Also would a veterinarians’ work? As for the cremains I believe the deceased wanted his ashes spread at sea. Or you could always burry them. Dust is hard to distinguish from dirt.

Do they inspect the brain at autopsy? I was reading about the ice pick lobotomy and it occurred to me that you could forcibly do that to someone to render them vegetable-like. Not exactly murder but it would effectively get them out of your life.

The whole point to dissolving specifically in DMSO is that it carries compounds through the skin and throughout the body, so it wouldn’t need to be a contact poison. I’ve no idea if osmium tetroxide would work this way, though.

What about something like shellfish poisoning? Saxitoxin and other goodies are present in things like butter clams and can be extracted. A very small amount causes respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. I don’t know how detectable it is at autopsy. But if mixed in with some seafood perhaps the diagnosis will be they had an allergic reaction to shellfish.

Also, the Grand Canyon is not fenced off or anything. Never in a million years would I take small children there.

And yes, people do fall in by accident, and not infrequently either. “Just back up a little bit more, honey. You’re almost in frame.” You may laugh, but it really does happen, just like that.