Is there an age when it no longer makes sense to be an organ donor?

The title says it all.

I’ve been an organ donor since it first went on our drivers license. I figure I won’t need my parts anymore so somebody can have them.

I’m older now, I’ve had two heart attacks so I doubt my heart is of much use anymore. I know as I get older my kidneys and liver probably won’t be much good either.
I started thinking, at what age are you pretty much useless as an organ donor? Are there some parts (skin?,bone?) that are good no matter what the age?

My uncle and my best friend’s dad weren’t super old when they died (like in their 60s) but their bodies had been through the ringer after years of alcoholism, drug abuse, heart attacks and general nastiness.

But both were successful organ donors. I know my uncle’s corneas were used. I forget what bff’s dad had donated but it was more than one organ.

My mother was an organ donor all her life (as am I). Upon her death at age 80, they were able to use her corneas.

My aunt donated her body to a medical school so, while the organs were used for donation, they were used for educational purposes.

I’m leaving my body to science fiction.

I know for kidneys, they prefer the donor to be under 65. If there is no choice, they’ll do it (if the tissue type is difficult and an elderly donor is a perfect match - it’s better than nothing).

I’m an organ donor and I want to leave whatever can’t be transplanted to a medical school or some place where my carcass might be of some use. I understand eyes, skin, and bones are often in demand, even if the internal organs are worn out. Once I’m done with them, I really don’t much care what happens, altho I’d rather not be taxidermied and put on display. ick.

**sari **- you might find this link to be helpful, too. I’m going to contact them and start the process.

FWIW - I’m in Maryland too - and my mom died last year and had donated her body to the Anatomy Board (“to science”) - the link you had posted. There was a sheet of paper that basically we kept on file with any hospital she went to - and the hospice where she died.

When she finally died all we did was call a number on that sheet - and basically said “DataX’s mom is at Hospice Z - she died an hour ago.”

And that was it. Got a phone call like a couple days later confirming they received her body and that they’d be completing a death certificate and asked me what she had done for a living (needed for death certificate).

I can’t stress how easy this was for the family. I am not joking or exaggerating when I say taking of care of my moms body was easier than ordering a pizza.

Can’t recommend it enough.

Soylent green?

I’m 54, but I’m sure my liver would be rejected.

Continue to offer to donate and when you’re gone let the experts decide if you still have usable parts is what I say.

I totally agree with this. My husband, who is in his late 50’s thinks like the OP…all of his parts are pretty used up, so he’s chosen to donate his body to a body farm.

Yeah, my mother asked the same question as the OP (she’s been on a lot of meds for a lot of time, so even if she died relatively young some organs were likely to be unusable) and was told “even if the rest is completely fucked up, we’ll still be able to use the corneas. Sign up?”

Also, in many locations you can choose different degrees of donation in a single form: organ donor (rest returned to family), organ donor (rest given to medical school), just do whatever you want (including plastinate and exhibit).

Thank y’all.

FCM I’m going to check out the link.

I wasn’t going to cancel my organ donor status, I just wondered if there was a time when your organs are pretty much useless.