[QUOTE=Little Nemo]
I don’t think anybody’s making a fortune in comics, including the publishers. There isn’t a fortune to be had in the business. The publishers are, if anything, probably in a worse position than the artists and writers - the creative people don’t have to risk going as far into debt as the business people do. Comic book publishing companies are always on the edge and are constantly going under and declaring bankruptcy.
The only real money in the business is what gets brought in from outside. If somebody has the rights to some character that gets picked up for a TV series or a movie, they can suddenly reap a fortune. But nobody’s going to get rich selling comic books.
[/QUOTE]
Well, the industry is not a total bust. I think Marvel is selling about 100,000 copies a month of its top-selling title, Civil War. Wholesale price is, I believe, about 20% off of retail, so say they’re making $2.40 an issue. That’s $240,000 a month or $2,880,000 a year off of that title alone, and that’s only what they sell in the first month it’s on the shelf. There will be residual sales, second printings, etc. $2.88mm doesn’t sound like much for a big company but what are they paying their talent? Not much of that, I bet. Add in ad revenue, merchandising, tons of hugely recognizable characters, and it’s feasible that they could be a solid company without their movies.
And a lot of publishers are making money off of trade paperbacks now. It’s the comic book’s way back into stores that aren’t comic book stores (i.e. book stores and general retail stores.) I can only imagine what Dark Horse makes off of Star Wars alone, not to mention Sin City, Conan, et al.
What the comic book industry is failing to do is attract kids. I worked in a comic book shop part-time briefly (I thought it would be fun. It wasn’t.) and tons of kids came in, but NONE of them bought comics. I probably never saw a kid younger than 15 even show interest in the comic books. What the kids want now are the toys, the movies, the posters, and most of all the card games. They love the characters but they don’t dream of reading about them when they can just watch the Fantastic Four cartoon or play the Hulk video game.
It seems like it could be possible to get kids interested in comics again, but I don’t really know how and neither do the comic book publishers. They’re making comics aimed at kids, but the funny (sad?) thing is that only adults are reading them.
I’ve gotta ask, astro, are you thinking of making a comic book? If you’re smart enough about it you can set yourself up to have not much to lose (except time) and a lot to gain (personal satisfaction, recognition, possibly some money.)