Is there any offensive music kids listen to

I’m reminded of this old Calvin & Hobbes strip, in which Calvin tries to freak out The Establishment by listening to muzak (really quietly):

In another strip he irritates his parents by playing classical music at 78rpm. My philosophy is that computer games have long since taken the place of pop music; modern parents would probably be offended by GTA, if only they knew how to use a games console.

Besides, I’ve always assumed that the appeal of transgressive music wasn’t so much that it upset your parents - when you’re young, you don’t care what your parents think, and in any case you’re listening to the music on headphones, they can’t hear the lyrics - but to make you feel tougher, smarter, and more streetwise than you are.

Hence the exaggerated machismo, the exaggerated sexuality. Nowadays kids get that from GTA, Modern Warfare etc. On the other hand, here’s brokeNCYDE’s “Freaxxx”, which annoys me no end:

I mean, when I was very young I liked electronic dance music, which really really irritated old people - there’s no lyrics, it’s just bang bang bang - but that wasn’t the hook. I liked electronic dance music because it sounded like the future.

In that vein here’s one of the funniest videos I have seen in the last couple of years:

It’s 2 Live Crew doing “Face Down, Ass Up”, supposedly on a chat show. The audience reaction - stunned, blank incomprehension - is hilarious. The band seemed to be having a whale of a time and it’s hard to be offended by the song although as I understand it they were very controversial at the time. But less so than Body Count’s “Cop Killer”, which advocated the gleeful murder of policemen.

As a 37-year-old I admit that I’m not entirely sure what kids listen to nowadays. I have the impression that tastes are less homogenised than when I was very young - e.g. there are far more subgenres and tribes than just “metalheads”, “punks”, and “everybody else”. But at the same time people seem less tribal, or at least the tribes are blending together.

Quite right. Music is such a free-for-all that trying to pin down “what’s popular today” is almost impossible. That said, I’m not sure the “monster bands” were ever all that popular. Even if you’re the most popular band in a certain niche, you’re still stuck in a niche that is only 1% as popular as the Backstreet Boys (to use a popular band from the time).

Woooo…I’m soooo scared.

I can see how Foster the People would appeal to today’s youth. They just sort of look like a bunch of overprivileged, disaffected nerds who would go shoot up a school because of some perceived social slight.

Seriously though, has the song generated a single bit of controversy? Even in spite of the recent rash of mass shootings?

Compare that to Pearl Jam’s Jeremy. Or Marilyn Manson after the Columbine shootings (even though his songs have nothing to do with mass shootings). Or every gangsta’ rap song ever.

“Jeremy” was about a suicide. Even though the music video looked like a school shooting, it too depicted a suicide. Any controversy was ignored by the band because the people complaining were clearly wrong.

Marilyn Manson was blamed for Columbine pretty much “just because.” I’m not even sure Klebold and Harris were even fans.

“Pumped Up Kicks” has reached more or less the same level of controversy as both of these. Some people don’t like it, but no one is really doing anything about it.

My theory, that I have, follows the lines that I am about to relate.

New music comes from alienated outsider groups. Jazz, blues, r&b, rock ‘n’ roll. Modern rock came from working class Brits; folk from the beats; psychedelic rock from the counterculture; punk came from disaffected city kids; disco from the gay subculture; hip hop/rap from the ghetto; metal from disaffected suburban teens.

If this theory is true then we should expect to see a drop in new musical types as prosperity rises, more people join the middle class, and fewer large groups of outsiders emerge. That’s pretty much what happened. Who are the outsiders today? They’re hard to identify in a country with a black president and gay marriage everywhere. Sure, large numbers of individuals are hurting in various ways but it’s hard to identify commonalities. Maybe 50+ year old men are being forced from the workplace, but they don’t create new music. Some teens are alienated enough to shoot up their schools but they don’t represent anybody but themselves.

Back in the days when we walked to school uphill both ways, we had a lot to complain about and needed to down the old man with our transistor radios. Today youth own the planet. You got everything but a soundtrack.

Has it? I don’t ever recall seeing any news articles and whatnot about it.

One of the Columbine survivors was interviewed a couple years after the shootings, and had a big Marilyn Manson sticker on his wheelchair. Manson himself said that the most obscene “entertainment” he’d ever seen was all those televised funerals.

Truthfully, if something like Columbine, or Sandy Hook for that matter, ever happened at an inner-city school and the victims were mostly black, Hispanic, or Muslim, it probably wouldn’t even make the local news.

It is true that it is even more taboo now, but I can assure you that this one was shocking back then too. I was a teenager then, and I was shocked (though I still liked the song).

Ah, maybe it just the line “I’m called the hit and run raper in anger,” that made me think it it was about rape. :wink:

I notice that line is not given on all lyrics sites, and it may be that it is not in the studio version of the song, but it is there in the (musically superior) live recording on Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, and there when I heard them do it live in '71.

Your description of the song is totally misleading. It is not a ballad at all, and although it is certainly strongly influenced by the blues, it is nothing like the stereotypical blues lament, and not in the least sad. It has a bouncy beat, starts off at a moderate pace and gets faster and faster, pumping up the excitement and sexual energy to the climax (pun intended) of “Stick my knife right down your throat”.

I will give you that explicit sexual language in songs may have become more common in songs after the '60s, but back then, even if the sex was merely implied (or euphemisms like “let’s spend the night together” were used in place of “let’s fuck”, the implications were usually pretty clear. Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg pretty much has simulated sex on record in “Je t’aime… moi non plus” (UK number 1 in '69). It wasn’t hidden, it was pretty much the whole point of the record. And what about The Doors “The End”, where it is pretty clearly implied that the way to become “free” is to kill your father, and rape your sister and mother? How many more recent songs have had more shocking content than that? (I have been told, on this board, that on some versions of the song you can even hear him say “Mother, I am going to fuck you,” though I have never discerned the word “fuck” there myself. Still, the meaning is clear enough.)

Sure, The Doors were not really advocating patricide, rape and incest,* any more than The Stones were really advocating rape-murder, but were NWA really advocating killing cops either?

If that is true I wonder what role the internet played in it. The internet allows people to find a sense of community (albeit a weak alternative to real life community) if a person is feeling disaffected. No matter what you have that pushes you outside of society, there is an entire message board devoted to it.

Having said that, I don’t think prosperity has gone up. if anything we are less prosperous, at least in the US. The concept of middle class and working class security is gone, and the new poor are increasing. More people are aware this is a rigged plutocracy. So the concept of a rising tide creating a nation of bland middle class people is the opposite of what happened.

Convicted sex offenders are pushed pretty far outside of society (both literally and metaphorically). Maybe they can do something with digital keyboards and the pan flute.

Did you ever see any articles about “Jeremy”? And the Manson/Columbine connection disappeared three seconds after the media latched on to the Trenchcoat Mafia/Matrix connection.

I think it works both ways. Finding online communities is easier and extremely important for many people. OTOH, that should also make it easier for pockets of discontent who once wouldn’t reach critical mass to create a movement. You’re right that the Internet changed everything, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it had a large role in this too.

This would be a major hijack, so I’ll just say that the difference in prosperity between the 50s and the 80s was enormous, and the 80s till now less so. But adding today’s technology to that 80s level is so high that complaining is almost whining.

I think you meant digits and the skin flute. d&r

Holy hell… :eek:

I don’t think its a hijack, my point was that I don’t think that people have been absorbed into middle class suburbia. If anything, they have been pushed out of it. What role that has in the creation of music, I have no idea. But people are more insecure and aware that the system is not working for them than they were in the past, not less. And if music is tied to how integrated into mainstream culture you feel, that should have an effect but I don’t know what.

on another note not only has the internet changed culture, but music production and distribution has totally changed. Any person with a few thousand in equipment can produce an album, and music is not distributed along the old channels. So I’m guessing that would play a role in what music rises into the collective consciousness of the public.

I thought sex offenders were big fans of the rusty trombone too.

They are – there was a huge outcry when GTA first came out. And people have been freaking out about computer games for a long time. I can remember when everyone was in an uproar over Mortal Combat. (I also remember playing that with my best friend for hours. Good times)

Yeah, I think OddFuture is pretty close to what the OP is looking for. Though it’s meant to be ironic and deliberately provocative, their music (much of which I enjoy) is rife with references to rape and homophobia and whatever else over-the-top stuff they can think of. Definitely an acquired taste, if you ‘get’ them.

Not that the following is that offensive… but we’re much closer to having “I love to put my dick in your ass” on the radio.

Rhianna:
Come here, rude boy, boy; can you get it up?
Come here rude boy, boy; is you big enough?
Take it, take it baby, baby Take it, take it; love me, love me

Bruno Mars:
Cause your sex takes me to paradise
Yeah your sex takes me to paradise

Not really explicit at all, but I think it’s about having sex…

FYI Lil’ Wayne is not a polite man, from his latest album:
I
really
don’t
think
he
respects
women

Then you have the garbage that is Hollywood Undead. I implore you to not Google them, thereby granting them page views. They represent everything that is wrong with everything.

Lyrics from one of their most recent excretions:

Is there any offensive music that kids listen to? The answer is yes. It just isn’t on the radio as much, because internet. I think rebellion may be taking a different form now too, not sure what, but it doesn’t take this form anymore for sure.

I thought people would provide examples to show that there is ‘offensive’ music still being made, rather than discuss how it could possibly arise from the margins of society if it were, or whether the current Top 40 music we hear has somehow evolved from it.

But since it has turned that way, let’s remind ourselves that the 1960’s did not invent offensive music, even if that is perhaps when we first remember stumbling onto it:

In 1935, Lucille Bogan sang: “I got nipples on my titties, big as the end of my thumb;
I got somethin’ between my legs’ll make a dead man come” in her song “Shave 'em Dry”. Here’s a whole Cracked article about pre-war ‘offensive’ songs.

Re: Offensive Music - It will perhaps always be a marginal style of music that includes explicit vulgarity, sexuality, violence, or drug use - but the presence of so-called ‘offensive’ music is certain as long as there is a society which also indulges in those very same things and writes songs. Before us, with us, after us - offensive music will persist.

Yeah, he’s a real prize. I do like some of his music though.

On the plus side, rap has always talked about men receiving, but it wasn’t that long ago that AFAIK it didn’t have much to say about them giving. Now it’s all over the place. Credit where credit’s due.

Oh, I didn’t know that’s what you were looking for. I could just look at my playlist for a million examples, except most of it is at least a couple years old because I don’t keep up. But if you’re counting songs that are just sexually explicit, here’s a recent one: I Remember.

This one says “snatch up Rihanna and throw her in front of a fucking train”, so that’s pleasant.

Also see: Anything by 2 Chainz.

Deleted post:

Misunderstood what the OP was asking for.