Is there any offensive music kids listen to

I am not that old, but I am old enough that people I grew up with have teenagers now and I was operating under the assumption that each generation’s music is supposed to be more offensive and vulgar than the one before it. Part of the goal is to freak your parents out.

My generation grew up with gangster rap, marilyn manson, bands dressed like monsters (slipknot, MudVayne, mushroomhead). So to the generation that listened to the Doors, Alice Cooper and the Beatles that was offensive, while those bands were offensive to their parents.

But from what I’ve seen, todays music is anything but offensive. It is far more homogenized and designed for mass distribution by being inoffensive pop. But I don’t really follow the music that teenagers today listen to and for all I know that may just be a small segment of new music.

Not only that but with the advent of the internet, people aren’t getting music the way they did before via TV and radio. So I am probably not in the loop to what people listen to anymore.

Are there any popular bands that teenagers listen to that would shock and offend those of us who grew up with NWA or watching Marilyn Manson dress like a nazi?

Foster the people “Pumped up kicks”:

You better run run run outrun my gun
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You better run run run outrun my bullets

… Yeah. Homogenous.

I think you answered your own question. People who grew up on NWA, and Marilyn Manson are offended by Justin Bieber, One Direction, and Taylor Swift, precisely BECAUSE they’re homogenized pop schlock.

Enjoy,
Steven

Basically, no. It kind of peaked out. What can anyone say that is going to out-do Cannibal Corpse and so forth? Especially that is going to get a following.

There’s still music that’s just as offensive as the music you mentioned. More offensive, I doubt it. There’s a limit to how offensive relatively mainstream things can reasonably be. I mean, it’s never going to be cool to make songs about molesting kids or something.

Also, the same people who listened to music that was considered offensive when they were teenagers can still be offended by their teenagers listening to the same kind of thing. That’s just how people are.

When odes to dick sucking like Lil’ Wayne’s “Lollipop” song are sung along to on the radio by pre-teen girls, then yes…it’s more offensive.

“Peaches and Cream” was very popular before today’s preteens were even born.

Of course there is.

Here’s a particularly gruesome video for Earl Sweatshirt’s Earl. He’s a member of the rap group OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All), who are on the whole generally offensive to milder tastes. Here’s another track from another member of the group: Tyler, the Creator - Yonkers.

There’s a whole sub-genre of super sexual rap populated by folks like Trina (here’s her track Look Back at Me) and the Ying Yang Twins (here’s their Wait (the Whisper Song) with the charming chorus of 'Wait til you see my dick. Wait til you see my dick, hey bitch).*

Other than that,
Death Grips are noisy anti-parent music: The Fever.
Queens of the Stone Age can do this sort of thing and are still around. I used to get a kick out of playing Feel Good Hit of the Summer (which is nothing but a list of drugs over rock music) for my mom.
*I realize now that some of these songs are bordering on 5 years old, a bit out of current. I still contend, however, that there is always offensive music being made.

I’m admittedly not all that in tune with what’s going on in pop music, but my perception is that in today’s post-internet world the teen angst music has largely balkanized into sub-genres. There’s still all sorts of edgy and/or offensive music out there, and older teens are still a huge part of the music market, but it’s not like the 90’s where single artists can capture enough of that market to break the pop charts regularly.

I don’t think that is true. The bounds of offensiveness were pushed about as far as they would go by the late 1960s. Since then, deliberately offensive stuff has continued to appear, and occasionally (rarely) someone discovers a slightly different way to be offensive, but not particularly more so.

Of course, it still shocks parents, whose attitudes will have changed since they were kids. Anyway, it has only ever been a minority of kids who both really liked the offensive stuff and took it seriously. Although some may be meant for real, a lot of “offensive” music has always been posturing and parody (you mentioned Alice Cooper, for instance, and I think Marylin Manson probably fits here too) and the young fans are generally quite aware of that, probably more so than their parents are.

Well, back in the '60s The Rolling Stones sang about sex with a 13 year old (Stray Cat Blues, and yes, on the live version she is 13). We recently had a whole, quite long, thread about songs about sex with underage kids (although many of the examples given were major reaches).

The Stones, back in the '60s also had a song, a centerpiece of their stage show, celebrating violent rape (Midnight Rambler). That would probably be rather more offensive now than it was back then, not that it wsan’t shocking then too.

I think Midnight Rambler is one of those songs that, as i mentioned above, you were never meant to take entirely seriously. Nobody thought Mick was really breaking into houses and raping people, or that he was really advocating it. I am not sure that the same applies to Stray Cat Blues though.

Dammit, I was really hoping not to be corrected on that.

It’s sort of like the musical version of Rule 34.
As for offensive, I think that part of the “genius” of some of the current songwriters is to make songs that have lyrics that make me cringe or roll my eyes at how obvious they are: “Lollipop” is a good example of the former, “Blow my Whistle” is an excellent example of the latter, BUT the tune and production are such that they’re mainstay radio plays, don’t have bits that need to be edited out, and just aurally go along with the flow of the normal sound of today’s generic “top hits” style of music.

That’s impressive. Mildly disturbing, but impressive.

I really can’t tell if this is supporting or rejecting the OP’s premise.

There’s certainly music out there that is a bit sonically challenging. I know that dubstep isn’t exactly new, but it took my ears a little bit to acclimate to the sounds, and now it’s been showing up all over the place in popular music.

The message I took away from that thread was that sexualizing teenagers is a lot more taboo now than it was when those songs came out. They weren’t considered especially offensive at the time.

That song isn’t really “celebrating” the violent rapist-- it’s a bluesy murder ballad type thing that’s supposed to be sad more than anything. Secondly, the violence in the last verse song is unusually explicit for the time, but the rape is merely alluded to.

Have you ever actually listened to any popular music after the 60’s? The vast majority of sex and violence in music from the 60’s was implied and, at least in the case of violence, usually had a disapproving tone. The same was not true of the stuff that came out in the 90’s. I think Blackberry’s idea that music got progressively egregious is fairly accurate at least in the last half of the 20th century.

I agree with this. And the fact that I have to hear this crap played at ear-piercing volume everywhere, like restaurants, stores, and barber shops populated entirely with old men, sure doesn’t help.

Oh man, they are scary

The person who posted how the music is offensive because it is non-offensive corporate music has a good point. So did the person talking about young kids sings about blowjobs. Maybe violence is less common in music but sex is more common. I don’t mind sex, but I’d rather not have young teenagers singing about it.

Hope you’re ok with them actually *having *sex. 'Cause, you know. They are.

I’ve never figured out how “Double Shot of My Baby’s Love” ever got on the radio, then OR now.

Well this is shocking. I hope they aren’t smoking reefers and listening to jazz music too.

Now that I think of it, I remember photographing a sweet 16 party a few months ago and being just absolutely shocked at the explicit lyrics of the songs. Lots of stuff involving oral sex. Like LMFAO’s “Shots” song, that includes this little ditty: “The ladies love us/When we pour shots/They need an excuse/To suck our cocks/.” Uncensored. There were a couple other songs in this vein. I’m not that old (almost 38), but in my day I remember the lyrics being more euphamistic about this sort of stuff.

ETA: Then again, there was 2 Live Crew in my time, so there we go.