Is there any phone company not staffed by fucking morons?

There has been a problem with my telephone. Apparently, it’s been going on for two weeks, but we didn’t find out about it until Monday. The phone has a dial tone, but I can’t make any outgoing calls (I found out because TiVo got cranky).

I called the phone company from work and reported the problem. They said they’d have it fixed by that day at five. Nope. I called the next day. They said they’d have it fixed. Nope. I called the next day and sent two emails. Nope. I called. Nope. I called. Nope.

Today, I called again. Would anyone, judging by the title of this rant and based on previous experiences with telephone companies, like to guess the reason they didn’t fix the problem?

Give it your best guess. The answer lies within:

Because I didn’t call from my home phone.

It’s an international problem.

google this: kevin operator 42

Brilliant! :rolleyes: I can’t believe it, I thought it was going to be because nobody was home.

Wouldn’t it have been nice if they had asked you that initially? “Okay, sir, you’re calling from your home phone right now? You’re not? We won’t be able to fix it otherwise.” Would’ve saved everyone a lot of hassle.

But, they should have know he wasn’t calling from his home phone. That was the nature of the problem. That’s why they’re stupid.

God forbid they would be able to help you by asking for the # of the line thats having trouble. I’ve had nothing but trouble with telco support.

Have you tried plugging a different phone into the jack to see if it works? Most of the time if you have dial tone it’s not a problem with the phone line, but with your equipment.

I dumped my phone company, and went with a cable phone. Granted the phone workers at the cable company drag their knuckles when they walk, and can only manage a short series of grunts and clicks as their main form of communication; this still exceeds the average phone company worker’s talents.

In these days of outsourcing, it may be that one day soon all phone companies, or at least their call centers, will be staffed by the same group of fucking morons.

You know, this is looking better and better, especially since my phone is still not working.

It had been so long since I felt this much impotent rage. I wish I could say I missed it.

That sounds like a phone company who doesn’t like spending money on repairs. As well as being daft. Yeah, change companies if you can, jsgoddess.

Glad I don’t have that problem with mine.

You forgot “…that speak English on a 2nd grade level”.

I mean, it’s not like these guys have, you know, competitors or anything. Isn’t this part of the reason why Ma Bell was broken up in the first place?

sigh Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I knew your answer before I looked, but then, I’m a telecom-tech. The problem is that some of the people working the call centers don’t have a fucking clue outside of the canned list of questions they go through when taking your report.

I have to deal with know-nothing fellow employees on an almost daily basis. And yes, it is frustrating as hell trying to get information across to those types of individuals. In the process of trying to cut costs, by hiring phone service reps with little or no training, the phone companies are shooting themselves in the foot, IMHO. In our office when we run across a particularly bad example of “know-nothingness” in a reporting center rep, we chalk it up to “Would you like fries with that?” recruiting practices. Standing outside the local McBurger joint asking the employees if they want a different job.

I have first hand experience in trying to report a specific problem on a phone line, explaining that I’m a tech, have done some trouble isolation, this is what seems to be the problem. Only to have the tech that gets the work order ask me “What kind of a problem are you having?” and be told “Thats not what it says here.” :rolleyes:

On the other hand, there are a lot of conscientious, dedicated technicians who take great pride in providing quality service/support to both external and internal customers.

If you are not getting satisfaction from the first line of reps, you should politely ask to speak to the shift supervisor since you have contacted them x number of times without any resolution to your complaint. That way you are hopefully talking to someone with more experience in dealing with your problem. And don’t be shy in going over that person’s head if you need to, squeaky wheel and all that.

If I’m reading the OP correctly, jsgoddess states that TiVO starting acting wonky, which uses a different dialer than the phone. So if both the regular phone and the Tivo are having the same problem, then the logical conclusion is that the problem is pointing towards the phone line or digit receiver card in the switch. Without doing any physical trouble shooting, that’s the best SWAG I can come up with.
If your phone has the capabillity to send either touch tone or dial pulse signalling, you can always try to change it to pulse(assuming it is currently sending tones) and see if that works. If it does, then at least you can report the problem from the phone line that doesn’t work.
And explain clearly and slowly to the rep that answers your call that you can dial out using dial pulse, but not touch tone. And ask them to repeat it back to you so you know they got it right. Sometimes it’s like talking to children. Learning impaired children.(The phone reps, not the OP)

This is the end result of the moronic Judge Green (who broke up the old Bell System telephone company). Now we have all these phone companies, and nobody is responsible for anything!
Of course, the recent merger of AT&T with SBC means that the old bell system is coming back…maybe things will return to what we had, before this idiot judge fucked everything up!
Government of, for, and by the lawyers!

You’re in quite the anti-lawyer mood this morning, ralph. Did a lawyer steal your Sunday paper?

Like having no choice but to pay their high rates for long distance? And getting any phone you want as long as it’s this one?
Yes, those were good times. :rolleyes:

Ah, yes, those were the days. Don’t see telephones being used as murder weapons in mysteries much anymore, do we?

Incorrect. The US Justice Department brought an anti-trust suit against AT&T (Ma Bell, informally, at the time). The suit was “settled out of court”, and Judge Green was the circuit court judge who oversaw and approved the settlement. Ironically, the specific proposal to break up the Bell System was put forth by AT&T (probably fearing that if they were found in violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, the courts could order something awful).