Is there any real reason to believe Obama is actually for same sex marriage?

Perhaps the question is not as urgent. Obama is just a man, after all. I do not expect to find myself in utter concurrence with his every thought. Gay rights is part of a progressive movement towards justice, and Obama represents and even, perhaps, embodies that movement.

But he does not command. The people are the thing itself, he is a reflection. Why should we imagine that his word alone can stand athwart a social movement, and make it stop, or even slow?

I think that whatever his personal feelings are, yes, there’s a very good chance that he would still have the same official position. There’s also the possibility that he’s just stating his position in terms of his official policy and isn’t making a statement about his personal feelings. It’s possible for anyone to personally have a particular view or desire, but still take into account the pragmatic need to compromise.

So I think that common sense would say that his official position doesn’t have to correspond with his personal feelings. However I don’t think there is any actual evidence of what his personal feelings are aside from his stated position.

Even if he is all for “marriage” I doubt he will push for that until such time as every state already has civil unions / domestic partnership. At the same time, if congress decides to call SSM “marriage” I doubt he would veto it.

He once said something along the lines of “I think marriage should be between a man and a woman, but I’m willing to concede that down the road I might be seen as on the wrong side of history on this.” I saw that as a wink wink nudge nudge.

Thanks to your pointing of the way, I found the quote, it’s from his book ‘Audacity Of Hope’:

Masterfully political.

Question for the tax lawyers: Is “Married Filing Jointly” defined by statute or simply by regulation? Could Obama, without action from Congress, direct the IRS to permit gay couples in recognized civil unions or domestic partnerships to file jointly?

I guess I could give you the benefit of the doubt here, or I could thank you with dripping irony for seeming to trivialize an issue that is is very important to a large number of people.

To save you keystrokes, I offer these alternative interpretations of what you are trying to say:

A. The issue of whether same-sex couples should have the right to marry is not important to the well-being of society.

B. The issue of Obama’s opinions about whether same-sex couples should have the right to marry is not important to the well-being of society.

C. I (Diogenes) just don’t care very much about this issue.

D. Obama is too smart to care very much about this issue.

E. Something else. Extra points if you decide to specify what that might be.
Ta, Roddy

No, the “Defence of Marriage Act” forbids the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages. Obama has gone on record as saying he want’s DOMA repealed. He needs Congressional approval to change that, and even with a Democratic majority that could take awhile. Things could get interesting if someone sues the federal government claiming that section of DOMA is unconstitutional and Obama simpley orders the Justice Department to agree with them.