Is there any reason I shouldn't just get a bottom-of-the-line laptop?

[QUOTE=Renee]
Augh! I think I’ve sold myself up (Dell e1405). The one with the core duo thing, 'cause the reviews I read tell me that I should. Thinking about it more, we probably will travel with it a fair amount, so size matters a bit, and for some reason that one just appeals to me. I always do this…it really is more than I need. Oh well. So, XP or vista?
[/QUOTE]

You gotta try Vista. I like it on our machine, runs smooth with no problems at all.
In the next few months you’ll be able to download the next batch of patches so if there are any problems they should be worked out pretty soon.
You’ll be especially OK with Vista if you don’t plan on installing old software or doing lots of crazy stuff right out of the box.