Is there any reason why Aluminium has no biological role?

A question prompted from reading the “Technology on a planet with only the 25 essential elements for life” thread.

One of the arguments presented there was that Aluminium, albeit not one of life’s building blocks, it is essential to create the geological conditions necessary for life.

So keeping in mind how ubiquitous Aluminium is, is there any known reason why it doesn’t play any role in biology?

I think aluminum, while very common in rocks, isn’t very soluble in seawater. Since life started up, and developed all its basic chemistry, in seawater, there never was much aluminum around to use.

It does. It separates the British from the Americans.

:slight_smile:

Aluminum hydroxide in some forms is very soluble in water, and is even used as a drug.

Also, without Aluminum Chlorohydrate, the world would be covered in a lot more sweat than it is.

There’s some relevation information focused on toxicity here, although no obvious answer jumps out.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/165315-overview

And there’s this old 1980 paper on the precise topic, that’s unfortunately behind a Springer paywall. If anyone has access, I’d kind of like to read this, it has really sparked my interest now.

And have lower blood pressure.

I suppose Quercos explanation is as good as any other then.

No, I don’t think it’s satisfactory. There is at least as much Al available as other essential trace elements, probably more. I don’t think we have a clear answer at all.