Is there anything more curious to still find in grocery stores than lard?

I was really into LARD for a time. I wish they’d do another release some day.

I’ve never seen pickle juice for sale (can’t say I even heard of it being sold on its own), but kraut juice is pretty common around here. Wish I could find pickle juice. Oddly enough, the last time I tried to buy kraut juice, my grocery was sold out of it. Damn Eastern Europeans buying up all my kraut juice!

Heck, the Mexican and Polish groceries around here will even have their house-rendered lard, which is a good bit different than that partially hydrogenated stuff. It has more of a porky taste, and is a yellowish color rather than the pure white of the boxed or bucketed stuff. That’s right. I’m a lard snob. :wink:

That doesn’t seem very PC. I just call it beer.

chuckle

Did you used to date my sister?

Hooooo-boy are you wrong!

Fresh turmeric root. That part of the post was about fresh turmeric root. I’m well aware of the love of lard (see my first post in this thread.) ETA: Actually, that post is the one you were quoting. So I’m not even sure how the heck you glossed over the topic sentence of my second paragraph, from which you pulled this quote, and completely missed the context. ETA2: Unless there is something about turmeric in what you posted, but I can’t find it.

I would imagine most of the Hispanics are buying the cans of manteca. I chuckle everytime I drive through that city.

There are some things one can find in the baking aisle that are quite interesting leftovers. And if you have a store that still stocks a full complement of lunch meats, well, have fun trying some of THOSE! :smiley:

Ah, that makes sense. You seem to generally know a lot about cooking, so… yeah, I missed it.

It’s even in the first sentence of my post! “Outside my neighborhood, which is Hispanic and Eastern European, both cultures of which whom love their lard.” :slight_smile:

Somebody needs a cup of coffee, methinks. :wink: (Perhaps me, too, for that “of which whom” construction.)

Much more than it deserves, but thank you.

“It’s the other white grease!”

“Healthier than butter. If you live.”

There’s tons of it in the local Asian grocery stores; they just use it as another flavour of soy sauce.

I don’t cook with store-bought lard (that’s what reserved bacon fat is for), but i do use it to keep a good seasoning on my cast iron pans.

Yep. While it was big growing up in a Polish household, it’s also big in Asian communities and Hispanic communities, at the very least. In fact, the bottle of Maggi I have in the house says “Jugo Sazonador” on it, as well as “Made in Mexico.”

At least here in Minneapolis all the major chain supermarkets carry Armour brand lard. If it’s the one-pound bricks wrapped in wax paper and cardboard, it’ll usually be in the meat section; if in plastic tubs, the baking goods section. I couldn’t have told you it’s a special Hispanic favorite but the Armour containers all say LARD on one side and MANTECA on the other.

Well, no problem other than the price. The jars cost more than whatever you’re putting in them, and the lids are even worse.

I didn’t use lard to made my refried beans , we had Table Talk pies as kids and they’re have lard in the pie crust and it taste no better to me than crust made with butter.