Is there anything more curious to still find in grocery stores than lard?

Pie fight!

Fels Naptha bars, or Fellsa Naptha as my grandmother used to call it. It was a heavy duty stain remover 40-50 years ago in the days before liquid stain removers.

I think I still see in grocery stores; though when I worked in a grocery store in the early 70’s it wasn’t a big seller.

Although I think it is now used in the production of home made soap.

I use it in soap making, and occasionally cooking, but I prefer bacon fat mostly for cooking applications.

But the jars, at least, are washable and re-usable.

I don’t buy lard or dripping, but I do collect the rendered fat from our home made burgers (cooked in a George Foreman grill). I also have the fat from a couple of hams in the freezer, to render down when I make stock with the bones.

I just use the lard/dripping on roast potatoes for a sunday roast, the way my mother did.

If the recipient of the jam returns the jar, at least.

A truly fascinating woman… one hell of a cook !

Perhaps.

I buy lard. My wife uses it in some “paleo” recipes. If anything I think it would be more popular these days.

I find it odd when stores are selling Darkie…er, I mean Darlie brand toothpaste. It’s pretty common in Asian supermarkets around here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie

I buy lard a few times a year to make carnitas, because the pork shoulders are just a bit too lean. Any leftovers I just use in cooking/baking the same way I’d use any other fat. I don’t do a lot of true baking these days because I’m trying to watch my carbs, but there’s nothing better for savory pastry or biscuits.

That’s it! “Paleo Butter”
…trademark pending

Yep I think the OP needs study up on Projection Bias where we tend to assume that most people think just like ourselves. (Wiki False Consensus Effect)

BTW Lard is a good substitute when I’m out of Crisco for making fried chicken. Mmmmm mmmm

I wish it were easier to find lard in the stores in my white-bread neighborhood. :frowning:

Just go back to calling it shortening, and you don’t need the ad campaign.

Oh, there’s your mistake: giving away the lovely goodness that you’ve made. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does that mean at the next high school reunion they’ll be calling me “Shortening Bucket” instead? Not much of an improvement, actually. :wink:

Can you still get blocks of paraffin in the grocery store?

I’m guessing a lot of it depends on where you live. Lard, canning supplies, etc are still kept in stock at all the grocery stores around me. Mustache wax used to be a little harder to find, but I have noticed it on more shelves in the last few years, which I guess is because of the ‘hipster movement’.
In my area, we don’t have too many asians, so our local stores don’t carry a huge selection. I went to the store with a friend of mine while visiting his side of the state. They have a large asian population there and they had a huge selection of asian foodstuffs there.

I’ve never seen Armour lard. Around here, we have John Morrell’s Snow Cap.

Amazon to the rescue!

Yes.