Is there this much worry about losing freedom with every American President?

It’s Bosda, darnit! Second or third time you got it wrong, Bricker. :mad:

As for your request–where do you find the texts for Presidential speeches on-line? :confused:

A good URL would be a big help for everybody on this Board.

Speech at West Point Graduation, June 1 2002: “America has no empire to extend or utopia to establish. We wish for others only what we wish for ourselves – safety from violence, the rewards of liberty, and the hope for a better life.”

As much as I’d like to believe George W. Bush thinks of America as his personal empire, Bosda, I couldn’t find any remarks of his to back it up. The above, saying (not exactly in the same context as your remark assumed) that America is not an empire, is the closest I could find.

Incidentally, texts of pretty much all the President’s public remarks can be found at or around http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/ . It’s sortable by month (not year), type (e.g. ‘Proclamations,’ ‘Press Briefings,’ etc.), but doesn’t seem to be easily searchable. But if you know what you’re looking for, you can find pretty much anything he ever says. (I found the above speech by googling on some combination of ‘president, george bush, america, empire, speech’ or something of that nature.)

Speaking of cites…

If you can find a reputable source for this unsupported assertation, I will mail you $50. Mind the verbage.

Speaking of cites…

If you can find a reputable source for this unsupported assertation, I will mail you $50. Mind the verbage.

And a double post does not make it $100.

Can I have the $50 in Euro’s ? Thanks very much…oh, I guess you get to decide “reputable” on an issue that’s hardly likely to be the subject of a presidential press conference…oh well…
http://www.american-blue.com/artman/publish/article_325.shtml

Flagrant abuse of editorial license for inflammatory articles does not count. Sorry.

Here’s a quick lesson in the US Constitution and War Powers Resolution of 1973. Please pardon the coding error.

You do surprise me.

Thanks ever so much for the “quick lesson”.

Actually, the article says that Bush’s lawyers are telling him that he can declare war on Iraq anytime he wants, and they don’t even give any sources or quotes for this claim. The article never says that the Bush administration claims it has legal power to declare war. Don’t expect $50 anytime soon.

Ummm…I recall Bush the Elder making the remark.

Where can I find his speeches?

Oh, word. I misread your first post. I have no idea. The cite I referenced doesn’t (I think) archive anything previous to 2001. Sorry.

Crazyboob, I think the problem with what you’ve said here is that Dubya can’t declare war as you said in the above quote. He can invade Iraq, which is what he’s proposing to do without congress’ approval, but he can’t actually declare a war without congress.

Semantics aside, it’s still a bad idea

Crazyboob, I think the problem with what you’ve said here is that Dubya can’t declare war as you said in the above quote. He can invade Iraq, which is what he’s proposing to do without congress’ approval, but he can’t actually declare a war without congress.

oops sorry! damn smdb! didn’t think it went through!