Is "Think of the children!" a red herring?

I am not pro-life, but the idea of a non-thinking entity needing to get permission to exist seems kinda silly to me.

Of course a pro-lifer is going to bring this up. Just like the pro-choice message is “think of the mother,” the pro-life message is “think of the fetus.” An actual “think of the children” argument would be something like “What would your daughter think when you tell her you killed her new baby sister?”

“Think of the children” is all too often used to mean, “my idea of morality is superior to yours, because I am thinking of the poor, defenseless children’s welfare and you are an evil, sinful and immoral monster.”

My (non) favorite is the appeal that goes "if it saves a single child’s life, it’s worthwhile). Example: installing massive speed bumps on a residential street.

If your goal is preventing even one child from ever being killed in a traffic accident, we should ban cars and other forms of mass transit altogether. After all, “you can’t put a price on a child’s life”.

I can, but that whole 13th Amendment thing results in enormous price distortions. Damn you, feds, and your nanny-state regulations!

“Have you given any thought to the problems your children are going to have?”

Citation

At least follow until 0:27 …

How is the person in your quote doing this? She admits that things need to be cleared up - and IIRC at least some of the parents either had paid already or never got bills. Could you perhaps give an example of a parent or other adult justifying bad behavior for the sake of the children, as opposed to not wanting to punish children for sins their parents commit which they can’t possibly influence.
You’d think that not wanting to punish blameless party X for the sins of party Y wouldn’t be very controversial.

Not to nitpick, but isn’t the phrase more closely associated with Helen Lovejoy?

“Think of the children” is not an agrument. It’s a distraction, a “look over there”, meant to take our eyes off the ball in whatever the discussion is. If the issue really concerns children, then why not make that point rather than a vague statement that suggests everyone else has forgotten some critical point. It’s a rude statement that the things YOU consider in an argument are all less important than my priorities.

BTW, my children have suffered their whole lives for the mistakes I have made. Why won’t someone think of their last season fashions and their outdated cell phones?