Is this a real mathematical term?

Way back in high school calculus, the teacher would occasionally use the word “freedescrancer” (sp?). Is this an actual term?
Seems he used the term in sticky situations. Like when we were trying to figure out how much space was used by a cone rotating on an axis that was off center or something.
We, the class, never got a good explanation for the term.

A search on google and dictionary.com comes up with nothing.
Was he making this up?

The word looks german.
frieden -> peace
kranzer -> wreath
krans -> crane
It may be a colloquilism for “Noetherian rings of Krull dimension zero” :wink:

Very funny, it would take several millennia of math courses to begin to understand that info in the PDF.

Any other guesses?:dubious:

It’s a synonym of marklar

If it’s pronounced “FREE-dess-CRAN-ser” then it sounds like a bogus word similar to Desmostylus’s cite, but I would define it as “word that is intended to sound sufficiently technical to sound valid yet be so baffling as to discourage any further questions on the part of the student.” Similar to a mechanic explaining about a framastat.

Thats what I thought too. Surely with the combined IQs and scholastic backgrounds abundant here, someone would have heard this before if it was a legitimate term.

Sounds like your teacher was using the carpalantz approach to math instruction.

I don`t think we were fooled. We would chuckle every time he used the word. It even became part of our vocabulary in that we would call each other a “freedescrancer” from time to time.

If you weren’t fooled, why are you asking now?
:wink:

My calc teacher my senior year of highschool had several terms like that. For example:

The derivative of a ham sandwich in terms of blurgham is shotzkableemin
I know, this makes absolutely no sense, I just had to use all 3 words I remember from that class in one expression :wink:

I’m only guessing, but:
Prefix obviously means ‘free’.

Root is tougher, but here are some options:
rand = margin
grenze or schanke = boundary or limit
(all are common usage german mathematical terms, btw)

Your example of cone rotation could qualify as a mathematical free boundary problem.

Therefore, freedescrancer = free boundary.

Kind of advanced for high school though…

“God protects the vines on the sunny Rhine.”
Frida Schranz (1859 - 1944)

I kid you not.

This sounds perfectly pausible. I think he was having an affair with the German teacher by the way. (not the ethnically German teacher but the German language teacher) :smiley:

BTW - we got into some hairy problems in calculus. I think the teacher was trying to show off or something. Some of the solutions would take all of three chalkboards to display.

“Friedeskranzer” is a unit of measurement in the field of pedagogy. Math teachers are very familiar with its usage.

What it means is this: if it takes 10 Freideskranzers to make one Clue, then most calculus students don’t have a Freideskranzer.

In Dilbert space, cow-orkers use the same concept to describe their manager’s competence. Example – while rolling eyes after the pointless project meeting: “he’s got, at most, two and a half Friedeskranzers.”

…right, I get it. Still 7.5 F short of a Clue. HA, HA.

therefore,
Friedensgrenze = peace border

It’s a political, not mathematical, term, as demonstrated by the lack of mathematical websites that show up in the Google search results.

You are correct.

Technically, a German mathematician would use: ‘randwertaufgaben’ for ‘free boundary’.
But I couldn’t justify a maths teacher using a political term - I assumed that he was not fluent in German and so made up the word by combining ‘frei’ and ‘die schanke’, since both are used as common mathematical terms on their own.

According to whuckfistle, the math teacher might have been having an affair with the German language teacher. Considering that the setting is high school, the German language teacher would be more likely to introduce political vocabulary than mathematical vocabulary to strengthen writing/conversation skills.

It would be reasonable to expect an American high schooler to be able to write a German paragraph defending his belief that the commander-in-chief had intelligence reports fabricated.

It would not be reasonable to expect an American high schooler to be able to provide a German proof that every bounded sequence has a monotone subsequence, or that the countable union of countable sets is countable.

whuckfistle suggests that the German language teacher is not ethnically German. One would then assume that the German language teacher has never had math instruction in the German language. Lack of German language math instruction often leads to lack of German math vocabulary, unless efforts are made to fill in the vocabulary gap with specialized dictionaries.

Therefore, any German vocabulary that whuckfistle’s high school calculus teacher picks up from the German language teacher is more likely to be political than mathematical.

Very astute. I can’t speak for whuckfistle, but I’m satisfied. Friedensgrenze it is. Thank you!
(too bad the maths teacher wasn’t as exacting as you are)

Very good, people. This is the kind of result I expect the members of the SD to produce. Usually a thread that comes to a head will result in a tapering off into the dark, lonely, sexually connotative abyss. Thanks for your efforts.