Is this good medical advice of just viral pimping of a new product by Bayer Aspirin?

A friend of mine forwarded this email quoted below. It seems like reasonable advice, but given it’s specific reliance on this new type of aspirin by Bayer it did raise my eyebrows as to the source of this email. The original email had pics of the Bayer product box for this dissolving aspirin.

This strikes me as terrible advice. If you think you’re having a heart attack, call 911 first. Not your neighbor or family member. Get emergency services on their way to your house. If you’re going to take aspirin or anything like that, do it after you call 911. You’d feel awful dumb if you took aspirin, then realized you’re losing consciousness again and can’t manage to get to the phone.

Relevant snopes link.

Verdict: A mixture of accurate and inaccurate info.

From what I know, and from what that snopes article tells me, taking aspirin at the first signs of chest pain/heart attack is indeed a good thing.

I guess the reasoning behind calling a neighbor is that they can get there sooner than the professionals can, but what are they supposed to do once they’re there? I know more first aid than most folks, and still the only thing I can really do in event of a heart attack is call 911 and let them handle it. Why not cut the middleman?

This is far from a typical sign of a heart attack, though jaw pain can occur. Diabetics are known for having atypical symptoms.

I’d love to know how this alleged statistic was compiled. How would anyone know these people were asleep when they suffered a fatal heart attack? If there was someone with them, were they watching every moment to see the fatal event and verify that the victim never awoke? When people “die in their sleep” it’s uncommon for autopsies to be performed, especially if the victim was elderly and/or had a preexisting medical condition. So the cause(s) commonly are not determined and while a cardiac event (which would not necessarily be a heart attack) is presumed, it cannot be confirmed.

Another goofy statement is the bit urging you not to lie down. Is this based on the idea that if you assume the position of a dead person you’re more likely to croak?

It may not hurt to call a neighbor after you call 911, if you’re alone - especially if the neighbor knows CPR. It will not help if all the neighbor is good for is wailing and lamentation, or if you suspect they’ll steal the silver placesettings as soon as you go off in the ambulance.

The American Heart Association emphasizes that if you think you’re having a heart attack the first thing to do is call 911 - not take an aspirin (you may be directed to do so by emergency personnel). Especially don’t take an aspirin and wait to see if the pain goes away.

Snopes addresses this and agrees with you:

And same with when to call 911:

As to jaw pain:

Boil water! Get some clean towels!

Oh, wait – that’s for delivering a baby.

I can see the advantage of a sublingual aspirin, the rest of it not so much. Do not lie down, WTF?

Most advice recommends chewing on an aspirin, provided there are no reasons not to. I personally wouldn’t be inclined to wait for a tablet to dissolve under my tongue. Secondarily, the advice not to lie down is flatly contradicted in most first aid guides, which favour either a semi-recumbent ‘w’ position or lying prone with legs slightly raised, to maximise blood flow to the heart.

The product in question isn’t a tablet.

It’s a Pixy Stick-like tube of flavored aspirin powder.

So if an effectively infinite number of people read the email, it might save one life? :dubious:

I’ve tried this crystal aspirin. i t does work fast, but I have never been able to open the packet either fast or without having to use a scissors. WTF ! The frustration from trying to get to the medicine is almost enough to induce a heart-attack.

How different is this from the powdered aspirins that have been available for quite a while (if not from Bayer)?

Almost every animal’s brains, including humans, is set up to remember the last thing you ate before getting sick, and then forever making that thing make you feel queasy (the idea being that if something makes you sick, it must be bad in general, so stay away). Yay evolution!

I mention this because I once took a Bayer aspirin and had a slice of pizza shortly before coming extremely sick one day, so now the concept of Bayer aspirin makes me want to hurl. Luckily, pizza didn’t get tied in along with that madness.

Though, due to a later incident, I have to psych myself up to eat a quesadilla. I love quesadillas, but thinking about them makes me feel sick. Unfortunate, this.

Don’t get all uppity, pal. This advice is from A Cardiologist.

If you’re talking about BC and Goody, those aren’t basic aspirin; BC contains aspirin, salicylamide, and caffeine, while Goody contains aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine.

I was going to be a cardiologist, but I kept having too much trouble with the compound computational email theory classes in med school.

No, officer, it’s crystal aspirin.

I have to strongly agree with the poster that said, “Call 911 FIRST

They know (or at least should know) how to handle it.

Taking a quick look at John Hopkins and Mayo Clinic’s websites the first thing they say to do is call 911. Then they say chew one regular aspirin. A baby aspirin is 81mg and a regular aspirin is 325mg so that is about 4 baby aspirins

I can’t find anything that says a quick dissolving aspirin would do you any better. Some medicines can work within 1 minute of getting into your stomach, I guess a pharamacist or doctor could tell you about aspirin.

Goodys makes “headache pounders” which are just crushed aspirin, of course for a dollar you can buy an aspirin crusher yourself :slight_smile:

Aspirin will help dissolve the clots but ambulances and hosptials have other meds that are much better at it than aspirin. This in no way means NOT to take the aspirin and wait for the other drugs. It’s better to start dissolving them ASAP.

I recall when my mum had her heart attack, (which was described as “massive” by the doctors) was that she had NO chest pain. She had all the other symptoms, and I kept asking her “are you having chest pains,” she said “no,” and she was a registered nurse, so I’d think she should know, or else she was lying to me, but why would she be complaining about all the other things so strongly and leave that out?

Right. Everyone else who follows this advice is going to die.=. :slight_smile: