Is this happening to anyone else with a new Samsung Galaxy S4?

More details, in case it’s helpful… Same proximity sensor issue for me. Started a month or so ago - very annoying for phone calls.

Got stuck with screen off once so I couldn’t end a call with my wife - and she was driving and assumed I would end the call. I could hear her listening to the radio. I just left it. Later she said she saw she was still on a call for like 30 mins. Ha! Funny because it was her, not a business call. 8o

No screen cover, thin plastic case.

#0# didn’t work for me with Verizon - that’s not an expletive… I’m referring to the diagnostic dialer sequence in other posts:)

Be careful what you say around that proximity sensor, she’s a sensitive one. :wink:

Yup, had this happen with my S4… did the diagnostics and compared it to the wife’s- in this room the values hit a low of 19 (255 with the sensor covered) but mine was struggling to get lower than 55, and the threshold to make the screen turn white is 45.

I squeezed the top of the phone between my fingers a few times and managed to get the lower value to change (only to 41 but that was enough) and it now behaves like hers… hand towards, green, hand away white. There’s a bit of hysteresis built into the code. It was enough to get the phone to behave for a while during/after phone calls.

I’m going to bring it to Sprint but I recently received an email saying that they will only accept cash- no warranty- and I’ll get a refurbished phone in return? How about no? :dubious:

Either way, it looks to be either dirt inside the case reflecting back or the sensor module is making a poor contact to the circuit board… or something.

If it’s a case of a refurb (wiped over with a wet-wipe and stuck back in a box) then I think I may break out the screwdrivers.

FYI

–Phil

As I mentioned before, I had to send my S4 back to Samsung for repairs to the proximity sensor. About 6-8 weeks ago, the problems started back up again. I tried blowing into the ear piece…viola! It works again. I haven’t tried/tested the diagnostic settings, but my phone now turns back on when I remove it from my ear during a call.