Is this Strange Phonecall A Threat? Full Audio Attached! What Should I do?

Just a thought… all of the “look into the local law” suggestions are good (except for the one that referenced state law – Canada isn’t a state… yet). However, I’m going to guess that the easiest thing for the police to do is tell you that it isn’t enough for them to get involved regardless of what the law says. People are lazy. Make a bit of a pest of yourself, and it will become more convenient for them to look into it than listen to you anymore, again regardless of whether the law says it’s their business or not.

Most modern phone exchanges have a “Call Blocking” option, where you can “ban” a certain incoming phone number. Have you looked into this?

One thought, though is if the caller finds his calls blocked, he may choose to escalate … so talk to your phone provider first, especially since your local police seem less than luke warm in their support.

regards
FML

Yikes…I couldn’t listen to it, as it had exceeded it’s allocation of downloads, but am almost glad, after reading these other posts, it sounds pretty creepy, it’s clicking towards midnight, and I’m getting ready for bed…yeah, I don’t need that right now.

I was the victim of a random prank call once, around 2 am, and that is a scary scary feeling, especially since he told me he could see me while I was on the phone. (shiver)

I was also the victim, just a few years ago, of a disgruntled telemarketer, who decided one Saturday afternoon that he wasn’t going to take getting hung up on anymore, so when he called me, and I said “NO”, and hung up, he called right back and started screaming at me…I hung up again, he called right back. This went on for a solid hour, and I tried (in between) calling the police and phone company, and they both kept referring me to the other one. :frowning:

I haven’t gotten to listen to the audio either, same as some of the other folks.

But in the same vein as what Ferret Herder posted, I remember someone else here on the boards quite a long (or it seemed like it) time ago, who was also receiving really bizarre, somewhat harassing, phone calls. The cadence, cut-and-paste vibe was there too and everyone responding seemed to be equally bumfuzzeled. However, another Doper came along and put together, with enough information provided, that it was a ‘sound clip’ mixed up with specifics to the owners. And to unduly freak anybody out listening, it came from Slingblade, said in the lovely Billy Bob Thornton’s voice. :eek:

Perhaps something similar is going on here? With their only intent is to scare the hell out of you. It appears there’s quite a few whackos who get off on that kind of shit.

Here’s hoping it stops for you soon and the asshole has to wear a muzzle for at least any duration of sporting events, plus while at work and during sex. That’ll teach the dick.

Darn, I can’t download the file either. xiix, can you re-post it, or can someone who saved it re-post it somewhere?

Dude, if you don’t want to hear anyone’s personal shit, then WTF are you doing hanging out in IMHO and reading threads? Go away if you don’t like it.

That was me.

Call screen is awesome. WHen the guy calls he’ll get a message that says you “are not accepting calls at this time” but then it never goes to voice mail. However, there is nothing preventing him from goin across teh street to the corner store and using heir payphone to call you.

Secondly, if you keep getting called after you’ve implemented call screen, call the cops again ask specifically for the Threat Assessment Unit. In Ontario, those are the guys who deal specifically with stalking. If they just sent you out some regular beat cops, they’ll just say “well, there was no specific threat” and be on their way. The Threat Assessment Unit will look at the bigger picutre of repeated calls at 3 or 4am as harassment. (Hopefully).