Is this the earliest recorded scorecard of any organised sports match

I avoided the game room since its IMO really a GQ issue.

Its not really complete but this does give us some information about when, where and who played in the match and who won and in some detail.

A cricket match played in summer of 1772 in London.

I would be highly surprised if there were not records of athletic events from classical times.

Questions on sports go in the Game Room, even if factual. Exceptions might be if the question is, say, more about physics or physiology than sports itself.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Like 776 BC.

It’s a fake…England scoring a low run total and losing? yeah, like *that’s *going to happen! :smiley:

Seriously, weren’t cricket run totals very low back then for some reason? In the Eton-Harrow match of 1805, they managed three innings in one day; Eton scored 122 in its innings, and Harrow 55 and 65 in its two. Was there a time where you had to run out every hit (like in baseball)?

Playing on an unrolled pitch with underarm bowling with a bat that looked more like a hockey stick or club probably made it hard to get boundaries.

I imagine the game looked more like kilikitithan modern cricket. Check out the awesome catch at the start of that video - no boundaries there I guess.

When I saw the thread title, I assumed that the OP was talking about records of the ancient Olympic games. This site allows you to look up victors by Olympiad or by sport.