Is this use of 'penultimate' correct?

Serious answer: preantepenultimate. Then propreantepenultimate. Then, I don’t know.

“Secondarily” is fine. :slight_smile:

Primarily, it is of ultimate importance that these products are safe, accurate, and effective.
Secondarily, it is of penultimate importance that these that they be developed as quickly as reasonably practicable

Are you serious? I’ve never heard of that. Wow. It makes the “literal-ists” and the “loosers” look like English language experts!!

The professor only used 4-measure examples, so he had an out.

How about this:

These products are to be first and foremost, safe, accurate, and effective. Only when we have achieved this, will we work on developing them as quickly as reasonably practicable.

I can’t speak for anyone else but for me it’s not “torture” really. Yeah, I do some pretty rough stuff to her but it’s all consensual. English is a Submissive tease and loves to be Topped.

I’d also quibble over the idea that three things can all be first and foremost.

So new suggestion:

Our first and foremost goal is that these products will be safe, accurate, and effective. Only when we have achieved this, will we work on developing them as quickly as reasonably practicable.

Plenipotentate? No?

(propane-papermate?)

If you’ve never heard “penultimate” used to mean “THE BESTEST EVAR!!!” consider yourself lucky. (Or am I misunderstanding you? It’s not a common word, but three times out of four, that’s how I hear it being used.) See here for example.

For whatever reason, I remember this moment in the Seattle music documentary “Hype!” as the first time I heard “penultimate” being (mis)used in this way. I’m sure it’s been used that way for ages before that, but, for whatever reason, I clearly remember watching that movie and the misuse sticking out so much that I remember it now, 23 years later.

Forepropreantepenultimate, of course.

Not to mention a fanatical devotion to the pope! :wink:

The antepenultimate word in that sentence is “antepenultimate.”

Among our chief tactics are, such diverse elements as safety, accuracy, effectiveness, being developed as quickly as reasonably practicable, and nice, red uniforms.

Regards,
Michaelangelo

I graduated from college in 1989, and I can remember questioning one of my fraternity brothers on his use of “penultimate” to mean “really great” when I was a sophomore or junior. So it’s nothing all that new.

Yeah, it sounds like a word that should mean something else, so completely unsurprising. I know I’ve misused words like “non-plussed” and “bemused” (but for some reason not “disinterested”) for similar reasons: they sound like they should mean something else (though there is a 20th history of them being used to mean something else.) I remember the first time I used the word “non-plussed” in conversation to mean “unfazed” or “unperturbed” instead of “perplexed/confused” the person I was talking with stopping me and saying, “uh, that word doesn’t mean what you think it means.” And he was right, although the semantic shift had started somewhere in the early 20th century.

For the next to last time, this is correct. :mad::smack:

“Penultimate” literally means “almost last” from the Latin “penultima”, from “panae-” “almost” and “-ultima” “farthest, last”.

The “pen-” prefix occurs in another English word: “peninsula”, which means “panae-” “almost” and “-insula” “island.” A peninsula is an almost-island.

So using “penultimate” as an intensified “ultimate” is literally wrong. However, since even “literally” isn’t used literally any more, this abuse of “penultimate” will probably become accepted English before long. Because correctness of usage and meaning are a matter of mob rule nowadays.

I will never accept “penultimate” as meaning “the best” unless the thing being described is, in fact, a pen.