Is this Yahoo Mail alert a scam?

I received this email just now:

Account Information
&am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;nb sp; Yahoo! - Blog - Hel
Dear Valued Member,
\Verify this email address

Due to the congestion in all Yahoo users and removal of all unused Yahoo Accounts,Yahoo would be shutting down all unused Accounts,You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Info below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

Name: …

Yahoo! Mail Address: …
Password: …
Date of Birth: …
Country Or Territory : …
Alternative Mail Address:…

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account before two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Yeah, definitely. Besides, if they were only looking to shut down inactive accounts, the fact that you’re there to read it is sufficient info to confirm that your account is active. They wouldn’t be asking those sorts of questions for that purpose.

Pretty much every message that’s ever looked like that was a phishing attempt.

It’s asking for your password. How could it possibly be legit?

I was quite sure it was a phishing attempt, but I didn’t even notice it was asking for a password. Thanks all.

Generally, the point of these is to use your account for spamming. Once the gain access to your e-mail account, they’ll send thousands of messages through it. Since Yahoo Mail isn’t automatically blocked, it lets them get more messages out.

Yahoo accounts are free. Why would a spammer go to the trouble of trying to hack someone else’s account to spam, when you can create a new one for free and use it?

Just a guess - they make you pass a CAPTCHA thing when you sign up for an account which makes it difficult to do for bots. This is an automated method where they might get a large number of accounts at once.