Is Twelfth Night supposed to be sad?

I recently watched a recording of the 1980 BBC production of Twelfth Night and at the end for some reason I felt very sad. I thought this unexpected because it is a comedy, and the ending is happy. Perhaps they were tears of joy or what not, but do other watchers of this play feel sad or happy at the end? It seemed to get me at the end.

I felt it before even this epilogue song:

That song made it even more sad.

Is it just me or is the play the perfect comedy? I felt like I had “lived” after watching it.

Sad? No. Maybe bittersweet.

Was it the one with Felicity Kendal as Viola? Because that one is “Perfect Shakespeare.”

Is it a happy ending? The four main lovers end up paired, I guess, and with the “right” mates, but one couple has literally just met, and their various affections seem so mutable and random as to make me doubt that any of them will remain together. Meanwhile, Malvolio, who is a bit of a tool but has done nothing really wrong, is humiliated, heartbroken, locked in a dark cell, and at play’s end left bereft of dignity and (presumably) his former position. His tormentors marry and suffer not at all for treating him this way. He leaves swearing revenge on all of them.

Is that a happy ending?

I will say that I saw a performance of it live this past summer, that managed to get the songs (“The Wind and the Rain” and “What is Love”) so stuck in my head, that they’re still in there.

I was adored once.

Saddest line in all literature.

It’s a comedy, but it’s got more tragic elements than is typical for Shakespeare. Shakespeare wrote it right before entering a tragic phase, where he wrote Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, and Macbeth among others. It’s possible that he was beginning to focus more on tragedy, and this affected his comedy writing.