Is world peace even known to be possible?

Gandhi said “it is possible to live in peace”
I guess our job is to find out how…
FML

In that great X-Files episode about a genie rolled up in a rug, Mulder wished for world peace.

And instantly found himself completely alone on the planet. :smiley:

Unschooling.

Thats the definition I learned it to be.

Before I read the Wiki article, I’d have guessed that “unschooling” is helping (or forcing) kids to forget what they’ve already learned - like political indoctrination, in a dictatorship, when the war is being lost or the former Supreme and Much-Beloved Leader falls from grace.

something like that :smiley:

There’s a long rambling passionate answer that i could and gladly would give you, but I’ll go with nutshell:

Unschooling is like homeschooling, but without all the have-tos. It’s based on the idea that liveing is learning and you really can’t separe the two, so unschoolers provide their kids with rich, fasinating, supportive environments, and encourage their children’s interests, even when those interests don’t lead in typical “schooly” directions.

One of the things that I love most about unschooling/ unschoolers is that I have never met so many people who seem to genuinely like and respect their kids as much as the unschoolers I know do.

I’m sorry if that’s not terribly clear, it’s late and I’ve been writing freelance articles on fairly boring topics all night. I’m no expert (as I have a lack of actual kids to practice my parenting fu on yet), but I’ve read about unschooling & its philosophies for about a decade and spoken with unschoolers for several years, and it’s something I’m very passionate about, so I’m happy to answer questions.

(see, and this was me in NON-rambling mode. Sorry for the continuing hijackiness)

Augustus closed the gates of the Temple of Janus twice. So peace, even in Rome, was possible.

I disagree. History proves the opposite; that it’s possible to build ever larger internally peaceful political units. Nations composed of groups than in older times would be fighting. Not many clan wars in America these days. Extropolating this into the future, it’s at least theoretically possible to have a single peaceful world state. Eventually. Don’t hold your breath.

Actually, the REALLY pragmatic view would be to kill everybody. That takes care of any worries about civil wars as well.