Israel, Palestine... People.

I had an odd experience a while ago, and I don’t know why I’m thinking about it today, but I really wanted to post about it.

When I was 14, I took a trip to Israel. It was a chartered thing, planned tours and the like. I was told a lot about the history, and about the inhabitant’s views on the Arab / Israeli conflict. It never occured to me that the stories might have some slant to them, and I always took them as truth.

A year or so ago, I was taking a class where one of the students was a young woman of Palestinian descent who had recently visited her relatives there. She started talking in one class about their views, and I began to realize that a lot of what she was saying was a mirror of what I had heard. I challenged her on a few things, just on principles, and it started a very interresting discussion. By the end of it we both realized that what we both knew to be ‘true’ was political rhetoric. Both sides couldn’t possibly be right.

Like I said, I don’t even know why I’m posting this. I just think it’s a bit of a shame that two cultures are so deeply immeshed (word?) in their politics and their hatred for eachother that it looks as though they may never untangle.

As a side note, she and I planned to have a more in-depth discussion about it outside of class, but it never came to be. Now that I write that, I realize how oddly fitting that is for the situation in that area of the world in general.

Peace.

There seems to be 3 kinds of “truth,” not just limited to politics…

The truth you know.

The truth they know.

And, then, how things really are.

Sometimes, the third truth is never seen in its entirity.

Yeah. Kinda. It’s a variant of enmeshed.

Thanks, UncleBeer, I was in the middle of a good story there, and I suddenly realized I had no idea if that was actually a word or not.