It may be a Novelty Song, but it’s also a *good* song

I Wanna Be A Cowboy

Amos Moses, Jerry Reed: catchy rhythm, good story line.

She Got The Goldmine (I Got The Shaft), Jerry Reed

Couple of years ago, Sten Nilsen borrowed the melody from “Wabash Cannonball” to sing about a famous Norwegian railroad builder.

David Frizzell-I’m Gonna Hire A Wino To Decorate Our Home

Pretty much anything by Italian parody power metal band, Nanowar of Steel. Some backstory: They started out as just “Nanowar”, parodying power metal bands like Manowar. Then, when fellow Italian band, Rhapsody, had to change their name to “Rhapsody of Fire” for legal reasons, Nanowar became “Nanowar of Steel”.

But they’re hilarious, and brilliant musicians, definitely worth listening to on repeat.

And yes, that’s “Trading Places” on the TV. Apparently, it’s considered a traditional Christmas movie in Italy.

Now, this isn’t a good song, it’s a great song - but is it also a novelty song?

Arguably NSFW: Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg - Je T’aime,…Moi Non Plus

j

Blotto had a way of creating great novelty tunes. Here’s “I Want to be a Lifeguard”

A couple more. This one actually charted (#9 in Billboard weekly and 70th for the year 1972)

And the Jerry Reed songs above reminded me of another:

And this Jim Stafford song was on the charts and still gives me the shivers…

I enjoyed this song back in the 70s.

Weird Al, “Dare to Be Stupid”:

In an interview on VH1’s Behind the Music , Devo’s Mark Mothersbaugh stated in reaction to the song that: “I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and… I hate him for it, basically.”[2][3]

Thank you for those, and in return - The Darkness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL0dkGG_p7U

I like this particular novelty Christmas song sung by a woman of color slightly more:

And as long we are celebrating the holiday season, how about this one:

My dad used to sing this one to me when I was a kid.

Three Dog Night really didn’t want to record this but they needed one last track for their Natrually album, then they went on tour.

They got back home to find that they had their second #1 hit.

You know, there was a song on a Nescafé commercial years ago that was amazing and that I’ve never been able to find. The lyrics went something like:

I’ve been living for today
And now it’s time to go away
I’m outta here.
Hit the road and travel light
See the world and do it right
I’m outta here.
All those years of living in
These hallowed halls
There must be life
Outside these walls
And I know that I am never
I’m never going home again.

Great song. Wish I knew who did it.

But as for novelty, maybe something by Esquivel.

Monty Python’s Every sperm is sacred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

I think technically Walk Like an Egyptian by the Bangles would count as a novelty song. It was a huge hit and I really enjoy it.