It shrinks!?!

I started making one of those model airplanes the other day and got to the point where I was done attaching the tissue paper to the wings. At this point the directions tell you to apply a very light coating of water to the paper to make it shrink. At first I was skeptical and didn’t think plan water could make it shrink, but 15 minutes later that tissue paper had most definitely shrunk to fit the wing tighter. I’m terribly confused at how this works. The tissue paper isn’t coated with something special that reacts with the water to make it shrink or anything like that. It’s just plan old tissue paper.

Sorry if the subject made you think of something else. And get your head out of the gutter!

Maybe if the subject actually described your question, instead of an attempt at a joke, you might have had an answer to your question by now.

Maybe the tissue has rag content, either cotton or wool. That will definately make it shrink after being wetted, especially something as thin as tissue paper.

Basic.[sub](Scientific WAG)[/sub]

The fibers in the tissue paper are stretched out and “interlocking” (sort of). This is a result of the rolling process required to make the paper.

When the paper gets wet, the fibers are able to return to their crinkled state, while still being “interlocking”. Thus the shrinkage.

Se non e vero, e ben trovato