Italian translation needed

hi, just sold an item on eBay. (A nintendo DS) My listing notes there is a fault in the item.

My customer has an address in Italy. I’ve had non-English speakers bid on faulty items before, not understanding listed faults.

I’d like to say the following to him:

Hello. Thank you for your bid. Before I send your item I would like to confirm that you have understood the condition of the item. The listing contained the following information: * “Has a fault: games inserted into the slot pop out again. Even if I hold them in, the console shows the message “No DS card inserted.” I hope this is an easy repair for someone who knows what they are doing. No other faults known.”

Perhaps you not speak English, and possibly you were unaware of the fault. If so, you may wish to withdraw your bid.

If you understood the listing, and wish to go ahead with the purchase, please confirm.

I do not speak Italian, and am having this translated.

Can someone translate this into Italian for me, please.

No, but I can hook you up with any number of professional translators who will translate into Italian for a fee. (Translation is a professional service that requires expertise, especially in your case, as your needs revolve around ensuring that a particular meaning is correctly conveyed. Speaking the language is not sufficient to translate into it, for the same reason that having hands is not sufficient to play the piano.)

I do not trust my Italian well enough to give you a translation for this. There are people on the board who can, and hopefully one will come to this thread.

In the meantime, I have found that saying things very simply in English works well, assuming your customer speaks at least rudimentary English. Given that time is of the essence it wouldn’t hurt to send something in English right away.

I would rephrase your communication as follows, to eliminate idioms and jargon and keep it in present tense:
Hello. Thank you for your bid. I want to be sure that you understand the condition of the item. The item has a problem. When a game card is put in the slot, it comes out again. If I hold the card in, there is a message “No DS card inserted.”

If you understand this problem, and wish to continue with the purchase, please confirm.

IMHO your comment about the repair is a non sequitur because you really don’t know whether it can be repaired, or what skills are necessary to do a repair.

Ciao. Grazie per la tua offerta. Voglio essere sicuro che tu capisca la condizione dell’articolo. L’articolo ha un problema. Quando una scheda di gioco viene messo nello slot, si esce di nuovo. Se tengo la scheda dentro, c’è un messaggio “Nessuna scheda DS inserita”.

Se si capisca questo problema, e vuoi continuare con l’acquisto, ti prego di confermarlo.

Ciao! I was hoping you’d drop in :slight_smile:

Not bad. I just have a couple of nit-picky corrections.

I’d go with this:

Salve. Grazie della tua offerta. Voglio assicurarmi che tu capisca le condizioni del bene in vendita, per quanto riguarda in particolare questo difetto: quando una sheda di gioco viene inserito, essa esce subito. Se si tiene la schede premuta in maniera che non esca, appare il messaggio “nessuna scheda DS inserita.”

Se, consapevole di questo difetto, tu vuoi procedere all’acquisto, ti prego di darmene conferma.

Naturally my translation has a couple of spelling mistakes. :o

Dammit. :smack:
Let’s try that again:
Salve. Grazie della tua offerta. Voglio assicurarmi che tu capisca le condizioni del bene in vendita, per quanto riguarda in particolare questo difetto: quando una scheda di gioco viene inserito, essa esce subito. Se si tiene la scheda premuta in maniera che non esca, appare il messaggio “nessuna scheda DS inserita.”

Se, consapevole di questo difetto, tu vuoi procedere all’acquisto, ti prego di darmene conferma.

++

Sorry for the confusion.

I posted Johanna’s translation to the customer. He has just replied as follows:

Thanks for your help, Johanna.
also Nathan’s contribution is appreciated.