It's a dark and stormy night. Madeline L'Engle dead at 88

I absolutely adored the Wrinkle trilogy and for years had a ritual of rereading them every year. I should maybe get back into that. Very sad news.

Well, A Wind in the Door is definitely a sequel. The third book, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, is set a decade or two later, and I think was also written considerably later (the style is very different). But there are also other books associated with the Murray family: Many Waters stars Sandy and Dennis (the “normal” ones in the family), and there are a few featuring Meg’s children, written much later.

Certainly pick up A Wind in the Door, but the others don’t, I think, reach quite the same level of quality as those two.

It’s a small thing, but I remember reading a passage where Charles was trying to untie a wet rope from the unicorn, and L’Engle used the phrase “Make haste slowly.” It’s probably not original to her, but whenever I’m rushing and fumbling with something I remember her story, and follow the advice.

Augustus Caesar. One of his mottoes was “festina lente,” make haste slowly.

Hers was the first sci-fi I ever read and was hooked. I wrote her a letter in high school telling her how much I loved her books and to ask where I could buy prints of the cover art. She sent back a very short response saying she didn’t know. I also enjoyed Two-Part Invention and gave it as a gift to a marrying couple.

My favorite part was always the tesseract explanation. Although I didn’t 100% understand what a tesseract was, that conversation taught me the meaning and the feeling of the inferential leap. Though at the time I didn’t know what it was called.

I forget which of her books was badly done as an ABC TV-movie, but an interviewer asked her “Did it meet your expectations?”

Her response- “Oh yes, I expected it to be bad, and it was.”

Classic!

The Lord bless you & keep you, Madeline.

I am grateful for her years here, her wit and eloquence. I am glad she lived. I am also saddened to hear of her death. I hope it was peaceful. :frowning: I know she went with Grace.

I know of her but have never read any of her works, so I think I will read A Wrinkle in Time as a tribute.

Autolycus, also read A Wind in the Door as well. It’s set not long after A Wrinkle in Time.

**A Wrinkle in Time **was the first book that I read that had spiritual concepts. I still remember reading where Mrs Whatsit turns into the centaur type being, and Calvin kneels to her. She gently rebukes him not to kneel to her. This provoked a long discussion with my mother (my family being atheists) on created and uncreated beings and the correct protocol of dealing with Deity(ies).

Fuck. :frowning:

I’ll always remember we have something that IT has not.

Here’s a link to a thread Skald the Rhymer started about a year ago to discuss A Wrinkle In Time.
(And I notice that Skald has reverted to Guest status. :frowning: Anybody know what happened to him?)

You could write a note to her family still.