It's a dark and stormy night. Madeline L'Engle dead at 88

Cite :frowning:

:frowning:

She’s one of my favorite authors. Very sad to see her go…

How sad. Her works were a huge part of my reading while I was growing up, and I still come back to some of them over and over again. She was a good egg.

One of the few famous person passings that has moved me to tears. A Wrikle in Time is still one of my favorites, even after all these years.

Aw, man…

Very sad. As I’m sure is obvious, I’ve been a L’Engle fan for a long, long time.

Wow, by her style of writing (and possibly a bit of projection), I assumed she had left us ages ago. Haven’t read AWiT in ages, but look back at it fondly (if a bit fuzzily).

RIP.

Oh, no! :frowning:

Oh man. I don’t usually get worked up over “celebrity” deaths, but… A Wrinkle in Time is very important to me, to this day. I’ll never forget the day in the fourth grade, when I complained to my teacher about not finding any books that interested me lately, and she put AWIT into my hands and told me to try that one. Decades later, I still have it.

RIP, and thank you.

Add me to the list of people who had their childhood shaped by A Wrinkle In Time. I’m sorry to see her go.

Man, for years I’ve been thinking that I ought to write her a letter to let her know how big of an influence she was on me. It was literally reading A Wrinkle in Time and sequels in fourth grade that inspired me to go into relativity. Let this be a lesson, folks: Don’t just think about doing things; do them.

DAMN. Just damn.

Yet another devoted fan of AWIT and the rest of her works. I even enjoyed much of her Christian/spiritual writing, despite being an atheist.

My husband just finished Penguins and Golden Calves earlier this week. May she find joy in the beatific vision, and be welcomed home. According to the article, she died in Connecticut. I hope she died at her beloved Crosswicks.

She was a huge influence on my life, and my mother’s. I read her kids’ books, and my Mum had most of her journals. She introduced me to Julian of Norwich, Thomas Merton, and paved the way to most of my favourite authors. She believed in myth, and the power of story to hold non-literal truth. Two-Part Invention- the Story of a Marriage, formed my understanding of what marriage can be.
…And the snow with its whiteness
And the sun with its brightness
And the fire with all the strength it hath
And the lightning with its rapid wrath
And the winds with their swiftness along their paths.
And the sea with its deepness
And the rocks with their steepness
And the earth with its starkness
All these I place
By God’s almighty help and grace
Between myself and the Powers of Darkness

Sad but joyous. She live 88 good years and made many happy along the way. (At least for the duration of reading her excellent books). She apparently inspired many. She had a good life. Rejoice in her life. She was one of my favorite authors. I especially loved the Wrinkle in Time trilogy.

Jim

And here is a post from yesterday. Talk about weird.

Wow. I read A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Dell Yearling edition, nacth) till it practically dissolved. sniff

AS What Exit? said, sad but joyous. (And, as with Kurt Vonnegut, not a total shock: I knew she was getting old; but still, I had hoped she could stay around forever.) If her writing is anything to judge by, she had/has a beautiful soul.

Though A Wrinkle In Time is her greatest hit, much of her other writing, fiction and non-, is wonderful as well.

I’m another who loves “A Wrinkle In Time”.

Whenever I’m out in a storm the line “wild nights are my glory” runs through my head. What a joyous way to regard things others would see as hardships and what a wonderful writer. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t aware that AWIT was a trilogy. I shall seek out the other books and catch up.

I don’t know if it is technically a trilogy, but I bought the 3 books as a box set a long time ago (I was in 7th grade) and I have always thought of it as a trilogy. All 3 were most excellent.

Jim