It's a Hobby and I'm Happy With It That Way

Please tell me your husband asked him if he was combining his love of icy sidewalks, mean dogs, sore feet, and lugging heavy bags by pursuing his dream of becoming a postman? Please?

Mine is art.
A lot of my art is wearable , so I, um, wear it.
A lot of my art is paintings and photographs that I have scanned and use for wallpaper on my computer at work, because I like to look at it.

Inevitably, a coworker will find out I made something they like. This often results in one of two really annoying reactions:

1. “Boy, I can’t do anything with my hands. I can’t even draw a straight line with a ruler. I really suck as a human being. Aren’t you glad you’re not me? Could you please join in and make me feel inferior to your scary talent while I grind myself into a pungent little grease spot beneath your enormously gifted foot?”
    :rolleyes:

2. “Wow, you’re wasting you’re time here.” Right. I could stay home and grind out this stuff hour after hour after hour, then hope I can learn to be a salesman and marketing, and lose all the paid vacation and sick leave and insurance and steady paychecks and hope somebody has enough disposable income to support me and my family. I’ll get right on that. Thanks for the valuable career advice. It’s always nice to be told you’re wasting your time at your job.
    :wally

I think that for some reason people are hardwired to believe that if you enjoy doing something, and do it well, you should be doing it for a living.

Now, I’ll be the first person to tell you that while my current job is OK, it certainly doesn’t feel like “my calling”.

However, neither do many of the things I LOVE to do, simply because trying to make money off of them would turn them into different beasts.

For example, I love to give parties, especially for people I love. My sister has given me ample opportunity to do so for her lately, as she has wed and had children within the last two years. And if I do say so myself, they’ve been damn good parties. Cute invitations, kick-ass food, clever little activities and door prizes, a good time had by all.

HOWEVER.

The reason I like doing this for my sister is that she lets me have SOLE CONTROL over the planning. She forks over the guest list, then sits back, files her nails, and lets me do my thing. Afterwards, she thanks me profusely and kisses me, and everybody’s happy.

If I were to do this for a living (as is suggested by at least two guests at every affair–I’ve even had a coupla solicitations), I’d… I’d… I’d have to do things somebody else’s way!

Honey, no. That would just ruin all the fun (also, I don’t think I’d enjoy doing it for someone I don’t love, even if it’d get me a few bucks).

Yet, when I try to explain this to people, they JUST. DON’T. GET IT.

It’s like trying to explain quantum physics to a puppy (or to me, as I’m about as likely to pee on the carpet in such a situation).

I get this too, about quilting. OK, I do all my work by hand and if I charged by the hour, who the hell would buy this stuff? Once, I calculated how much I made on one, and it was a whole 10 cents an hour. So I just stick to making quilts for family and friends and non-profits, and screw those who tell me to go into business.

I hear you, gigi. I used to do homemade birthday cards for friends and relatives, and those people liked them so much that they’d commission me to do cards for their friends and relatives (usually people I didn’t know, and again, I only really enjoyed doing it for people I love). My mom was the worst.

Usually she’d fork over $5 for the finished product, which worked out to about 50 cents an hour.

What was worse, though, was (again) having to cater to other people’s ideas, because I was being “paid”: “I want you to make a card for my friend Melanie… she likes TEDDY BEARS.”

Well, guess what? I HATE Teddy bears. I hate butterflies. I hate kittens. (Well, OK, I like kittens and butterflies in real life, but I don’t want them on my greeting cards.)

So after awhile it just sucked to have to make them, and I quit altogether for several years.

Anyway, on to my point… I work for a non-profit… can you slip me one of those handmade quilts? :smiley:

GREAT rant!

My personal favorite story:

I managed to turn my love of playing on the internet into a job running a corporate intranet site. One day I was putting in a lot of effort to create a photo gallery for the site when a co-worker said to me, “You know, you’re really good – you should do that professionally.” :confused:

Uh, yeah, I DO do that professionally. You see, it’s my JOB. OTOH, just because I have a job doing something I enjoy doesn’t mean that it’s all fun and games. There’s a lot of mindless paperwork, office politics, and other corporate b.s. that goes along with the fun stuff.

“Does your husband let you walk next to him, or is it three steps behind?” Yeesh.

Broomstick, next time you’re up to your ceiling on a clear day, all that crap will just melt away.

Here’s my favourite line…

WTF? What kind of Stepford Wives company do you work for? Tell her to grow up and join the 20th century, let alone the Twenty-first!

But on retrospect, everyone asking you dumbass questions has just secretly voiced their own biggest hangup.

The guy wondering if your husband lets you-- he’s kowtowed to his wife on not getting a motorcycle.

Woman worried about being alone with another man? Wants to have an orgasm so bad she’ll pay for it.

Afraid of little planes? Has a small dick and drives a Ford Expedition from the mall to his apartment.

Wants you to donate to charity? Slams the door on blind kids going door-to-door.

Doesn’t think you’re qualified? Can’t imagine that someone he works with has actually accomplished something, because he’s driving without a license :slight_smile:

Have you ever thought about jumping out? With a chute, of course…

Boy oh boy, deja vu. I get that too. I draw well, and especially like to draw portraits. I will sometimes doodle on scratch paper while at work, and some people will give me the “I am such a nobody, I have no TALENT, like you”. I want to scream. First off, who says that they aren’t talented in their own way, or in some other area? And, secondly, I sometimes get the impression that there is this belief that “talent” means that you had a gift dropped on your lap, and you didn’t have to do anything (put in any effort) to cultivate it.

I spent A LOT of time cultivating my talent. Studied, practiced, filled sketchbooks. I have met other artists who started out with a so-called “mediocre” talent, but because they loved art, they really put a lot of effort in, and now they are damned good artists. But only after a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

I know that the people who say “You are so talented” mean it as a compliment (and I do take it that way) but I don’t think they always understand that hard work that went into getting to the point where I am. I also think that some people are more comfortable believing in the myth of “talent without effort” because it allows them to give up on an inclination or seed of a talent they may have. I mean, it’s so much easier to believe that “either you have it, or you don’t”. That way, if something doesn’t automatically fall into your lap, you can tell yourself that it obviously isn’t worth working at, or pursuing. Because, like, that would require effort, and what a bummer that would be.

I’d love to make a living at art, but that market is hard to break into here (in Hooterville, where I am currently exiled) and I’d really prefer to eat, have a steady income and health insurance right now, thanks.

I also will sometimes get the “Well, since you can draw portraits, how much would you charge to draw my kids?” My prices are not high (I don’t think - starting at above $100) but some people want a bargain. Sorry, been there, done that. I am a good artist. I have been doing this for a while. It’s not worth my time to take $3 an hour to draw your damned kids, sorry.

It also irritates me when people draw over my doodles. I know, I know. They are doodles, on the scratch paper at work. They are not real “works of art”, so I shouldn’t get so touchy. But the same people who compliment my little drawings somehow have no problem drawing over them, in big, ugly awkward lines, making them hideous. I have gotten to the point of not doodling at all, or hiding any doodles that I particularly like.

What the FUCK is wrong with those people? I mean, honest to god, are you making this shit up? I cannot imagine anyone saying those things! The “real” pilot, bit, well, I can see someone being confused about the issue momentarily until you calmly point out that you have a commercial license . . . But, jeezamighty!

They’re all just jealous . . . you know it!

The bit about being alone with a man other than your husband is hilarious! “Gee, it is true that any man who is alone with a woman at an altitude greater than 5000 feet will automatically rape her, but that’s okay, I carry mace.”

Kinsey: The fact that someone would be so disrespectful to a person who is a) fully qualified and b) laying their life on the line to help people abso-friggin-lutely boggles my mind. My county is served by a fine corps of volunteer firefighters and EMTs, and, god damn the thought of somebody dissing one of them pisses me off! I don’t even know any of 'em personally (except for one EMT who works in the building) and I’m seeing red! Unbelievable!

Yeah, WHAT IS UP with that “I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler” line? I think every person who has exhibited artistic ability in public has heard that line about a million times. Yeah, if on;y you could draw a straight line, you’d be the next Picasso. Well, Mondrian, maybe. :smiley:

I once had an airhead roommate who SET HER DRINK on top of one of my drawings. :mad:

I get this one, too. Usually phrased as, “I can’t believe your husband lets you do that.”
Once I responded with, “Yeah, he lets me vote and wear pants, too, can you imagine?” :smiley:

Actually, my husband (then boyfriend) was the one who encouraged me to join.
It’s usually older women who ask it, if that counts for anything.
I even have a commercial driver’s license, so I can drive the fire trucks, too.
And the hubby has grudgingly admitted I’m a better driver. So there.

“the “I am such a nobody, I have no TALENT, like you”. I want to scream. First off, who says that they aren’t talented in their own way, or in some other area?”

HEheeh…I’ve been known to say similar things to “I can’t draw a straight line” myself. It’s usually because the person has a particular talent that I may envy. However, I’m a writer(or I consider myself one) and I also do odd designs, so for me to say that I have NO TALENT would be rather inaccurate. Heheheeh…

I’ve taken art classses and despite not being among the best ones, I kept all of my artwork. You never know, may want to look at it later and try again. :slight_smile:

As for doing things you love professionally, it’s a great idea, but I agree that it doesn’t always work for everyone because of some of the reasons already mentioned.

:confused: Do you work in the Twilight Zone or what? Goddamn.

Well, yes, but they’ve usually delivered their bombshell and walked off before I can pick my jaw up off the floor. You would think that after 7 years of being a pilot I’d be used to this, but I’m not. Probably because it’s not a constant thing.

Actually, it ain’t the folks in my department who do this, but our neighbors. My department thinks my hobby is kind of cool.

But I don’t want a jet! An RV-6, maybe, or an Aeronca Champ, or… nevermind, getting lustful again. Anyhow. It’s usually twits subordinate to me, and usually older women, as Kinsey said. Maybe it’s jealousy. My husband says that my success gives them no more excuses for their own failure to take a chance when appropriate. Maybe they’re afraid that if I go off and do something perceived as courageous they’re going to be forced to leave their nice, comfortable niches and exert themselves. How ridiculous!

Then men almost always think it’s cool for me to go off and do those things. Maybe that’s another area for jealousy. I get a lot of male attention (strictly platonic friends basis) because I have a hobby dominated by men, and I’m very comfortable with men, and that cranks the handle of insecure women. Puts a lie to their ideas that scanty clothes and make-up and wiggle-and-shake is what it takes to get a man when I’m over in a corner bullshitting with the guys without make, in scruffy clothes, sans wiggle-and-shake. REALLY cranks the 20-somethings who think their tits and ass will turn the head of any man when the pushing-40 chick gets a conversation out of them instead of just a leer.

You know, for the most part they ain’t worth the bother? Well, the worst offender is being excessive of late, probably because she’s retiring in 3 weeks and it’s her last chance to get her digs in.

Oh, what the hell - Kinsey, do you get accused of being a dyke, too? Really, I see a blue-haired lady staggering around the airport I expect implications that I’m either a whore or a lesibian or both. Wandered past a “Pilot’s Companion” class on break and we were all chatty gals until they found I was a real pilot, after which I got the same Death Stare usually given to cockroaches and spiders. Fuck, you bitches, I am NOT after your boyfriend/husband/whatever! Maybe if you weren’t so fucking hostile to your man’s interests you wouldn’t have to worry about him being stolen!

So, can you fly a pontoon plane? I really want to know.

Another artist raising her hand here!

Hoo-boy, where to begin? How about with that dumbass “I can’t draw a straight line” thing? Guess what, dipstick, drawing a straight line is drafting, something entirely different, and if you could draw a straight line without a straightedge of any sort, you should call the Guiness Book of World Records. :rolleyes:

Then, of course, “Wow, you draw so well–what are you doing working here?” (As opposed to making a living off my art.) For starters, I don’t want to do commercial art or illustration because I don’t want to do it someone else’s way, and I don’t create well on deadlines. I don’t want to be a non-commercial artists for a living because there’s too much stress and/or bullshit involved.

The worst, of course, is “We need (posters, certificates, cards, whatever) for the such-and-such and since you’re so talented…” The look on their faces when I calmly informed them what I would charge was sooooo predictable. After a while of sputtering and hemming-and-hawing, it would come out that I should do it for the company. Well, it ain’t in my job description, and if it were, you’d be paying me a lot more than you are.

Well, I’m not the most “girly-girl” out there, but I don’t look like a dyke, either.
We have a formal event once a year, and the other guys often comment that I “clean up real good.”
It’s funny to see the young 20-something girlfriends of guys at the firehouse react when they find out I’m not just a wife of a firefighter, but actually a firefighter, and that sometimes I SLEEP IN at the firehouse, too. In the same room as their precious boyfriends. Yes, I know the Death Stare well.
It’s really funny to watch them tighten their grip around his arm as their eyes widen in horror.

Out of idle curiosity, why didn’t you ask the MIQ if s/he drove without a professional driver in the car, and if not, why not?

MIQ=Moron in Question

Amen, sister! I have gotten that too. I also get the “Do this art project fo us for free (or for a mere pittance) and we will ‘promote’ you. We will give you some exposure. We will be doing you a favor.” Oh yeah. Sure you will. That line worked about once when I was 15, but I ain’t 15 anymore. I suppose there are (rare) instances when an artist who does a freebie does get some valuable exposure, but most of the time, they get nothing. Just an attitude like “We did YOU a favor by letting you do some freebie art for us, remember?”

I am so sick of that. If I’m good, pay me. If you don’t want to pay me, don’t waste my time. I am much happier doing my own thing anyway. I’ve had reasonable success in the past doing my “own thing”, and sometimes getting it into galleries. And getting paid at least something close to what I am worth. So why exactly should I get paid nothing to do artwork that I don’t want to do in the first place? :rolleyes: Give me a break.

<completely unrelated comment> This is the first post I have made on my ancient Powerbook, with a 14.4 connection. Let’s see how it goes!</completely unrelated hijack>