It's not that easy being pathetic, don't let LittleCrappie taint your good intentions

I just opened the LC-thread this morning. To be honest I’ve been avoiding it because I’ve got enough shit to worry about lately. I know it’s a pissy attitude but it’s the best I can do right now.

For those of you who haven’t read all the links and what-not I will save you a lot of time. Little Cassie was a fake and a known sympathy mongering troll-now banned- who had a lot of people fooled. She exploited the kind hearts and good intentions of everyone on this board and is beneath contempt. She is obviously severely mentally ill and should see a psychiatrist immediately. The sickest part is that she is probably reading this right now and saying “gotcha”. To her I say, “I sincerely hope you get the help you need, but I won’t waste another thought about you”.

When I read of her husband dead of cancer I thought it was really unusual for a girl in her early 20’s. When I heard that her young son also had cancer now relapsed and was in a coma, I thought there was exaggeration going on. I worked as a Hospice nurse for 9 years and never have I heard of such a rapid progression, even with the most nasty and aggressive of cancers death is not that swift.

But even with reservations about the veracity of all her claims, I would never have believed that the entire matter was a fabrication, including the persona itself and undoubtedly the pic too.

When I saw her alleged pic–wowsa indeed- I thought “here is a girl with some self-esteem issues if she feels she needs to reveal so much so readily”.

My point is I was genuinely touched by the sincere outpouring of honest well wishes and offers of support. The members of this board have a level of compassion for each other that I haven’t seen anywhere else. Please don’t let the actions of one mentally ill individual change this wonderful trait.

I end this post saddened, jaded, and a bit wiser but with my faith in the inherent goodness of my fellow humans firmly unshaken.

I posted on that thread (more in a minute), I don’t usually post to those sorts, not because I don’t care, not because I don’t understand ‘community’ and so on, but because I usually have a difficult time finding any words for those situations other than ‘that sucks, sorry to hear’, which I figure is less than beneficial.

I posted on that one 'cause of the child involved. My parents never recovered (IMHO) from the death of their eldest child. I’ve always believed that if something happened to my son (an only child), I would be beyond devesataed. One year ago, he was in an ICU for 3 days, and nearly died. I don’t speak of it here much, it’s still too new to me, and I now hover more about his health than ever before (it bugs the heck out of him, but…)

I suspected something (yea, easy to say now, right?), but frankly it didn’t matter to me. So, I was shown to be a caring human being. Damn the bad luck. As for the person who did it, I figure having to live with themselves is sufficient punishiment.

Thank you so much for starting this thread, Mermaid. I was going to start one myself, apologizing to all of you, but I was procrastinating 'til I got home from work because I was sorta dreading it.

I feel like SUCH A HEEL for starting that thread and getting people involved in this. I did what I thought was best at the time. I saw clues (there were more clues than those Ms Crappie left in her melodramatic update posts), and tried to sort of qualify my OP in the area of knowing her well/not well, and by letting people know that “Sonny” had, apparently, just gone into remission, and now all the sudden was in a coma. (That was a biggie for me, 'cause thickheaded as I can be, I’m pretty sure you don’t go into remission one day and the next collapse into a coma. And there were other small hints in our email exchanges.) But I took her for her word because, like you, wring, the child involved. What a great sympathy card for her to play.

So, to all the people that rallied, thank you for doing so. You guys are a great bunch of people ('cept one). I hope this doesn’t keep you from doing the same in the future for a more legitimate cause.

To the mods: Sorry for the trouble I caused. I humbly apologize. And thanks for figuring this out before it got even more out of hand.

Hey Flyboy if I didn’t start it someone else would have. You were acting from a good place. Little miss full of crap was taking advantage of the fact that most people(herself not included) are kind and sympathetic and as such would give her the attention she so desperately craves with just a little incentive. All it took was a semi-believable story.

No rationable person could begin to figure out why she did what she did because her’s were the actions of an irrationable, emotionally unstable, mentally challenged individual who is to be pitied. God help her.

Like the rest of you, I was taken in, and I’ve been beating myself up over it for most of the rest of the day. I posted to the thread, because it did tear at my heart to hear about it and I wanted to express my thoughts and prayers. Then I got an e-mail from the little fraud, expressing her thanks and sound so like she needed a shoulder to cry on. So, being the type of person that I’ve always tried to be, I gave her that shoulder, and kept e-mailing back and forth, trying to be supportive and helpful and understanding and the kind of person I would want to have e-mailing me if something like this were going on in my life. Even last night, the last e-mail I’d gotten from this person… it had me down and wondering why such a thing could happen to someone so young. I e-mailed some of my close, non-Doper friends, telling them about it and asking for their prayers. I went to bed early last night and when I got up this morning and found what I found, I thought I was probably the most gullable fool on the planet. Because I had thought it might be a fraud, just the day before, but told myself “Am, you’re being cynical. Don’t ask what might be wrong. Just be there. You’ll be kicking yourself if you’re overreacting.” So instead, I’ve been kicking myself for believing it.

The day passing has given me some time to read some other posts, and to do some thinking. Would I do it again, same situation? Yes, I think I would. One of the things I’m most proud of is trying to be there for people that need a shoulder, an ear, a hug or a kind word. I think I’ve done a pretty good job of it so far. And, as angry as I am at Little Miss Fraud for pulling this, I’m angrier at her for almost causing me to change one of the better things about me… my compassion.

Now I have to go back to my friends and tell them that I’d been taken in, that what I sent them had no basis in truth. This morning, the task was daunting to me. Now, I’m glad it showed what I’m truly made of.

And I’m glad to see that this board is made up of people just like me.

Thanks, Mermaid, for giving me a place to vent a little. I think I needed it! :slight_smile:

Nope. Sorry, but I’ll pass. I posted in that thread, and I signed the card, but I won’t do anything like that again here. I’ll keep my sympathy to myself from now on.