It's Official! Half of us are idiots!

“…Half of Americans now say Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when the United States invaded the country in 2003 — up from 36 percent last year…In addition, 64 percent say Saddam had “strong links” with al Qaeda…Fifty-five percent said that “history will give the U.S. credit for bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq.”…American confidence in the Iraqis has improved: 37 percent said Iraq would succeed in creating a stable democracy, up five points since November…”

I don’t get it. First thought, of course, is, well, this is the Washington Times, the Moonie Rag of Record. But this is a Harris poll, considered a reliable source from what I gather.

So, what the fuck? It would certainly appear that my campaign against Cognitive Dissonance (the number one threat to the Republic!) has had little enough impact.

How is this possible? Are our fellow citizens so entirely brain-dead that they can’t see the blazingly obvious?

Honestly, pals and gals, I don’t get it. Anybody got a clue? I mean, I could sort of understand if it went to 50% from 75%, Lord knows, take a while sometimes…but this is up from before! Based on what? Scrying with entrails? Christ Jesus, what do we have to do to get through to these people!

I want to stay sane and sober. Must I choose?

Yep, those who disagree with you on a topic on which the facts are not all in are idiots! Case closed, you can lock the thread now.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

• H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Judging from the two posts prior to mine, it does indeed seem that half of Americans are, indeed, idiots.

I’m not looking at you, elucidator.

Well, damn, Gangster, you screwed up my oh-so-clever post.

Which facts would you surmise might still be missing? :dubious:

What facts are we waiting for? Ones that support your position? We haven’t seen a single one yet; what makes you think any are going to show up in the future?

Without Gangster’s post, your post doesn’t make sense, Ravenman.

For the record, athelas, no evidence of Iraqi WMDs has been found, and no ties between Hussein and Al Qaeda have been established. Three years into the conflict, the smoking gun which might vindicate the U.S.-led Coalition’s invasion has yet to be found.

This isn’t about Republicans versus Democrats or Liberals versus Conservatives. This is about a unjustified invasion of a sovereign nation. This is about a single person, the PotUS, with a vendetta and who refuses to listen to opinions which don’t match his own. This is about a spin machine that could probably get the too much of the U.S. public to believe the Earth is flat and at the center of the solar system.

Wait until we invade and occupy Syria and we can prove to you all that Iraq had WMD’s and moved them to Syria before the war. Unless they then move them to Lebanon and then we have to invade/occupy it. Then Turkey etc:

Ya know, I’m wondering if maybe this isn’t a fraud? Wouldn’t put it past the Moonie News, but I thought, if such were the case, they would have been busted by now. So WTF?

Oh, sorry, meant to keep quiet to allow friend Athelas to bring his facts into the discussion. The floor is yours, bring them on!

Hey! You crickets! Shhhhhh!..

Wait until we invade and occupy Syria and we can prove to you all that Iraq had WMD’s and moved them to Syria before the war. Unless they then move them to Lebanon and then we have to invade/occupy it. Then Turkey etc:

No, it makes sense then. There are two posts above his, one of which, or half that is, kindly put, idiotic.

Sorry Ravenman.

Only half? Damn, thing are getting better!

Just curious athelas, why do you suppose Bush himself “acknowledged that Iraq didn’t have weapons of mass destruction at the time he ordered the invasion” (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/12/wmd.search/) if the facts aren’t all in yet? What was his motive to jump the gun on such a politically embarrassing statement?

:dubious: Is this some new twist on the old domino theory?

You would be surprised at what a diet of stupid food can do.

I think invasion predates dominos.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

• Goebbels

“…just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it.”

• Costanza

I don’t like to compare the Bush II White House to the Nazis, but this combination of theories constitutes (IMHO) current policy.

Funny thing is, there’s a conservative blogger who completely agrees with the OP, but for the OPPOSITE reason, arguing that we found 500 WMDs in Iraq, so how could people be so ignorant as to not know that?!?

I just found it funny. :slight_smile:

Godwin in 18. Par for the course, I guess.